Gear Reduction Starter for FJ40, FJ60 (NEW) First Impressions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Large copper lug goes to the positive battery post.
Small blade to the ignition switch.
Mine also had a ground strap attached to a mounting bolts, other side on the frame. I don't know if this was a PO hack or not or where else the engine grounds to the frame.

Large copper lug goes to the positive battery post.
Small blade to the ignition switch.
Mine also had a ground strap attached to a mounting bolts, other side on the frame. I don't know if this was a PO hack or not or where else the engine grounds to the frame.
Thanks. I'll try it.

I tried reaching out to Mike, anyone hear from him? He has been such a great contributor to mud. His ‘78 was an inspiration for my ‘78.

Few questions on wiring...
Installing the gear reduction starter discussed throughout this thread on a 75 fj40
1. I have a thicker gauge white and black wire and a second thinner one (the thick one is attached in the second pic). Does only the thicker gauge wire get used, does the thin one just hang unattached?
2. There is talk of a grounding strap from the alternator- is this just a cable run from a alternator mounting bolt to the frame?
Thanks

64DAA661-1C70-4644-8655-E6E6E79453D6.png

BBB551F8-2721-4963-B51A-F544350CBEE6.png

Few questions on wiring...
Installing the gear reduction starter discussed throughout this thread on a 75 fj40
1. I have a thicker gauge white and black wire and a second thinner one (the thick one is attached in the second pic). Does only the thicker gauge wire get used, does the thin one just hang unattached?
2. There is talk of a grounding strap from the alternator- is this just a cable run from a alternator mounting bolt to the frame?
Thanks

View attachment 2671416

View attachment 2671420
This is on my list too considering how cheap the GRS is from Toyota

I installed this in my 78 and I'm shocked at how quick it turns over the old beast. Definitely worth every penny.

I just installed a Remy reman from Rock Auto that's supposedly a Denso core. Not a GR starter but it's 10x faster starting my 77 than the old tired starter I lived with for way too long. I can't see how a GR starter would be much better. Only $30 too. And it had terminals for all the OEM wires.

Looking to go with a gear reduction starter. I sure would appreciate it if someone please confirm if the Toyota PN 28100-60070-84 shown in post #47 above will fit our 1970 FJ40?
Thanks!

Looking to go with a gear reduction starter. I sure would appreciate it if someone please confirm if the Toyota PN 28100-60070-84 shown in post #47 above will fit our 1970 FJ40?
Thanks!
I bought 28100-60090-84 for around $140+ plus core at local Stealership for our 6/70 1F. There was an extra wire on the starter not used for our application. It will make a world of difference. Our truck starts immediately, (cold start, choke pulled, 1 tap on accelerator pedal) now. P

the 60090 may supersede the 60070. "84" = reman.

Last edited:
Thanks!

From a recent thread in the 60 series forum

From Onur.

The reman part number is 28100-60090-84.

............... just get the readily available 28100-60070-84 starter that basically fits all F series engines through 8/1992.

I quoted this instead of linking the thread because there was a lot of gibberish over two pages of the thread.

I put one of the amazon sourced GRs on my 75 a few weeks ago.. It showed up as a WEI brand from China. It worked great for a few weeks and has now quit. I replaced and/or resurfaced all of my grounds and still no luck. I even dropped in a new battery. It's possible the issue is in my coil? I tried to find a reman 60 GR but no luck at the time. I'll keep on the hunt for that unless someone can point me in the right direction. Cheeers, B

I used my last new spare toyota reman starter last month,when I went to get another for a spare....37 were on backorder with no time frame.

same starter fill all my stuff up to 1990...so I keep one around

I put one of the amazon sourced GRs on my 75 a few weeks ago.. It showed up as a WEI brand from China. It worked great for a few weeks and has now quit. I replaced and/or resurfaced all of my grounds and still no luck. I even dropped in a new battery. It's possible the issue is in my coil? I tried to find a reman 60 GR but no luck at the time. I'll keep on the hunt for that unless someone can point me in the right direction. Cheeers, B

Remove and bench test the starter. Unlikely the coil has anything to do with the starter not engaging. @brian suggestion to open up the solenoid is a good one. Then go buy a Denso ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom