Gear Ratios (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am by no means mechanically savvy, but I'm trying to get there.

I've read alot and the consensus seems to be that 4.88s (with 35's) are the way to go. I was always under the assumption that beacuse 4.88's (4 teeth on one gear per 88 teeth on another) had a higher ratio difference that they would be weaker than say 5.29's (5 teeth on one gear per 29 on the other). But from what I have read on here it seems that some believe that the 5.29s would be weaker.

I am afraid I don't quite get it. Could someone help me understand this or point me in the right direction to understanding gear ratios.

4.88 means the axle will rotate 1 time for every 4.88 rotations of the driveshaft. So 5.29 is a lower gear than 4.88.

Aaron

4.88 is a ratio of the number of pinion turns to the number of ring gear turns. It is not a "teeth count" though they are related.

Zuk wrote an article that somewhat debunks the urban legend that 5.29's are inherently weaker. It is likely a fact that more 5.29s are broken but that fact could very well be more related to the way they are used and the tire sizes they are used with. Read the article and draw your own conclusion.

-B-

4.88 is a ratio of the number of pinion turns to the number of ring gear turns. It is not a "teeth count" though they are related.

Zuk wrote an article that somewhat debunks the urban legend that 5.29's are inherently weaker. It is likely a fact that more 5.29s are broken but that fact could very well be more related to the way they are used and the tire sizes they are used with. Read the article and draw your own conclusion.

-B-

I originally thought that 4.88s would be weaker but if what you say is so, then not really.

So if I understand correctly, pinion turns 4.88 times per every 1 turn of the ring gear. So 4.88s turn .41 less times than 5.29s per 1 ring gear turn?

Last edited:
The reason that lower gears (numarically higher) are weaker is that there is the teeth on the gears are not as thick... However, when I do my gear change it will be with 5.29s. I would rather run a "weaker" R&P then use more momentum and break everything else!

The teeth measure almost exactly the same on the 4.88's and 5.29's that I have?:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom