gear ratios in 4sp vs. 5 sp tranny (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
a dumb question : are the recommended "shift points" in the 4sp same as toy's 5sp or in other words are the gear ratios equivalent in the 4 sp compared with the first 4 gears of the 5 sp?:doh:

H42 - 4 Speed
1st - 3.555:1
2nd - 2.292:1
3rd - 1.41:1
4th - 1:1
Rev - 4.271:1

H55F - 5 Speed
1st - 4.843:1
2nd - 2.619:1
3rd - 1.516:1
4th - 1:1
5th - 0.845:1
Rev - 4.843:1

I'm told the first four gears of the 5 speed are equivalent to the H41 low range 4 speed.

I shift based upon engine rpm, not vehicle speed, therefore the shift points are the same regardless of the transmission...

thanks 2mbb for responding. to clarify: the reason why i am asking the dumb question is i am trying to determine why my new 5sp with less than 5,000 miles driven has developed at random times while driving in different gears, a disturbing loud whining?/hi pitched howling? noise to which i quickly either down/up shift to another gear to stop the noise. i was hoping that it is due to my improper shifting @ 1500-2000rpm (i shifted around 1500-2000 rpm in my original 4sp) rather than admitting i might have a defective/out of adjustment tranny?! i naturally got fixated on my speedo numbers when the sounds occur and it seems to be before/near the top end of recommended speeds before shifting to the next higher gear as recommended by toy's owner's manual. all the gears have definitely been "broken" in/loosened up compared to when it was the 5sp was first installed and driven.

thanks to input from all; your comments are appreciated. looks like i'm going to have to bite the bullet and take my truck in for inspection/repair! like they say, any strange sound/noise is not normal and serves as a warning that something is not right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom