Gear ratios, A redux (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Threads
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
salvaged and re presented for your reading enjoyment, or whatever.

FJ80 A440F 1-90 to 7-92
1st 2.950:1
2nd 1.530:1
3dr 1.000:1
OD .717:1
R 2.678:1
fluid cap 16.4 US qts

FZJ80 A442f 8-92 to 12-94
1st 2.950:1
2nd 1.530:1
3rd 1.000:1
OD .765:1
R 2.678:1
fluid cap 16.4 US qts

FZJ80 A343F 1-95 to 1-98
1st 2.804:1
2nd 1.531:1
3rd 1.000:1
OD .753:1
R 2.393:1
fluid cap 11.7 US qts

Regards...Dan ::)

And my first bit of Rogue logic for the new forum. :D

Why the A442F is better...

442-343=99

So therefore, the A442F is 99% better.

:D

Rogue,

You forgot the part about lower ratios in 1st and Reverse, and the 25% larger fluid capicity........ :eek:

You must strive, sir...... :D

So there are other reasons that it is better too, but I like my reason the best.

I think Toyota knew something about America's soccer moms when they built the A343F. The "good" tranny was still offered evrywhere else from what I understand.

Just something to ponder...

Dan -

Just a bit of theoretical curiosity... could a 343 be easily replaced with a 442? Or is it a completely different animal altogether ?

Thanks.

Hi Ron, :D

I imagine it could. It may be a little of a challenge for the electronics. If you like, we could wait until Beo finishes steeling mine ::)

Seriously, I'll look into it further........
Regards...Dan

Dan -

Please do not spend any time on this... it is just a curiosity. I have much more important projects that may soon require some of that valuable time. Thanks! -R-

Heres a 1993-1998 Toyota Coaster Bus Shop manual- listing a manual tranny and A441-with ECT. Me thinks this is the famed "bus tranny" .

image.jpg

now that may be the oldest random thread bump on mud! congrats sir; but it does beg the ? just what is this a-441 creature

I would bet it is the A44x series transmission with different ratios for the bus or 2wd for the bus. Just like the A340E is the same as the A343F, except 2wd.
A340 and a343 are different internally beyond gear ratios

In what ways? Not trying to be confrontational but if you know without a shadow of a doubt the A343 and A340 have say different size baskets, pistons, etc it would save me from spending the money to have ATF Speed tell me that.

A340 and a343 are different internally beyond gear ratios

I was nerding out on Coaster bus minutia and threads speculating that the A442f "bus tranny" was the stuff of urban legend ........and doing a little digging around this was the only confirmation( or close to it) that i found.

Apparently there were a good 7+ variants of the coaster between 1993-1998 using the 1hdt- 1hz- and 15b. ( this is even confusing because most references were to 3b- with 15b as the actual engine) Most were paired to a manual 5 speed but of the Autos- many gearing references were to 4 speeds with 5.09 first gears and there were as many gearing variants to match anywhere from 9 passenger to 19passenger coasters. (toyota picked up some gearing tooling/machining and processes at the Honsha plant and were kicking out tons of gearing options).

There seems to be a bunch of 93-98 coasters for sale in Aus......and im guessing it would be kind of kewl to source one of these 4 speeds with a 5:1 first gear and see if that gear would slide into our a442f. 5:1 vs 2.95 would be niiiiice :)

1993 and 1995 were two big years for Toyota as they adopted some tooling and machining processes which evolved the quality of the auto trannies. In 1993 they moved away from press forming Autos and in 1995 they adopted use of a 1,200-ton hydraulic press for gear shape forging. (likely why the 343 is a much smoother tranny than the a442). 1993 also introduced Low distortion decompression boiling quenching for A/T Gear (at honsha plant) and high hardness shot peening for gears was introduced along with a gear face honing machine. In 1990 Toyota had created a measurement division and much of the precision measuring/ processes and tooling that flowed out of this division was impacting the Landcruiser gears and transmissions in a big way. :clap:

I was nerding out on Coaster bus minutia and threads speculating that the A442f "bus tranny" was the stuff of urban legend ........and doing a little digging around this was the only confirmation( or close to it) that i found.

Apparently there were a good 7+ variants of the coaster between 1993-1998 using the 1hdt- 1hz- and 15b. ( this is even confusing because most references were to 3b- with 15b as the actual engine) Most were paired to a manual 5 speed but of the Autos- many gearing references were to 4 speeds with 5.09 first gears and there were as many gearing variants to match anywhere from 9 passenger to 19passenger coasters. (toyota picked up some gearing tooling/machining and processes at the Honsha plant and were kicking out tons of gearing options).

There seems to be a bunch of 93-98 coasters for sale in Aus......and im guessing it would be kind of kewl to source one of these 4 speeds with a 5:1 first gear and see if that gear would slide into our a442f. :)

1993 and 1995 were two big years for Toyota as they adopted some tooling and machining processes which evolved the quality of the auto trannies. In 1993 they moved away from press forming Autos and in 1995 they adopted use of a 1,200-ton hydraulic press for gear shape forging. (likely why the 343 is a much smoother tranny than the a442). 1993 also introduced Low distortion decompression boiling quenching for A/T Gear (at honsha plant) and high hardness shot peening for gears was introduced along with a gear face honing machine. In 1990 Toyota had created a measurement division and much of the precision measuring/ processes and tooling that flowed out of this division was impacting the Landcruiser gears and transmissions in a big way. :clap:

Nice info. :clap:

Toyota has so many suppliers, it's not even funny (even outside of their Keiretsu companies) (it's amazing how many important suppliers are owned/partially owned by Keiretsu companies, which are then owned/partially owned by the Toyota Group):

Toyota Global Site | Toyota Group

Global Network: Japan | About Us | DENSO Global Website

Domestic Companies - TOYOTA INDUSTRIES CORPORATION

Six Core Companies of the AISIN Group | Aisin Seiki Global Website

Though Honsha--as the oldest Toyota manufacturing plant-- has huge importance in all of the initial metal working.

That said, most of the gears are manufactured by Aichi Steel (a Toyota Keiretsu company)... see how many 80 series parts you can identify below:

forg_0-1.gif

AICHI STEEL

Last edited:
The Coaster had something like a 6700kg weight rating (fully loaded with passengers/gear) so for even a 1hdt to lug 13,000 + lbs around Japans hillier environments......im guessing this famed A441 auto would have needed space for some 5:1-6:1 first gear gearing.​

It was interesting to read about the electronics division attempting to bring alot more standardization and in-house reliance for supply issues. From mid to late 80s alot of the suppliers were more loosely affiliated. Toyota at the time had created a specific Ecu division and appears to have simplified the supplier chain.

over on the Lexus message boards a guy who posts is an old engineer from one of the Denso companies who has gone thru many of the toyota "issues"/ bulletins with respect to suppliers and problems of certain capacitors etc from that mid 80s period on. For fun in his retirement he basically fixes all of his friends ECUs - replacing caps that are known to throw problems. It seems the caps issues were inherent across a wide swath of Toyota vehicles from 88-98. and as Toyota was in the midst of "reigning in" suppliers......they were doing a bit more standardization in the ECU division as time went on. For the Lexus Ls400 i was looking into.......the early 90s ones had up to 12 various caps that were known to leak whereas later 95 models on were down to 6 of which were 3- pairs.....pointing to this standardization and move by Toyota to streamline the supply chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom