gear ratio (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well one more question, while doing a little research, I have realized that my gear ratios with my 4speed and 4speed transfrer case suck, so I am looking into options to lower them, I see that advanced adapters makes a crawler box that makes your setup 5 inches longer, what over options are out there, can I put a sm420 to a 2f and still use my factiory tc, please help, I need to go slower!lol

You can put 3-speed gears in your x-fer, you can install a SM420, Sm465, NV4500, etc. between your 2f and stock x-fer, you can install a Malrin toy box, you can install an underdrive like a Ranger or Fairey, you can install bigger gears in your diffs, you can double up your x-fer, i've even heard of doubling up trannies. :D
You got tons of options, I'm sure I missed a few.

The issue of Trails that is currently online(I would place a link if I new how) has an article on a double Tcase. 77FJ40 4spd + NP203. Since I did not add a link you can get it by going to the TLCA website, going to the trails link, articles link, and then the double tcase link. I hope that is useful in some way.
Hey Gumby 2 questions. 1)did someone actually fit a double tranny in a 40 or was it a bigger vehicle? 2)is there anything that you dont know about cruisers? (there isnt a bow down in homage to the master face, but if there was insert here) :)

the guy that I saw that doubled up his trannies did it with two older toy truck transes in a CJ-2 or -3 behind a 22R and I want to say toy axles.
first/first/low was stupid low, like 1000:1 :eek:
reverse/reverse/low was even lower and made the truck go forward. Apparently two wrongs do make a right. or three lefts make a right. Something like that.

As far as Cruiser knowledge goes <ALex Karras voice> "Mongo just pawn in game of life" I get most of my info from other folks. IH8mud tech forum, TT, LCML archives, 80 list tech pages and the POR board. Sometimes it sticks, most times I have to go look it up.

My money is going into a SM420 swap. With my stock 3 spd x-fer and the 420, and staying with the 4.11 I will end up about 67:1. After saving the $ I will want to put in the AA box and it will put me in the 217:1 range. I found a 420 out of a 2x 53 chevy PU and best of all it's free.

tennfj40, any update? Still waiting to hear which path you chose and how it worked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom