gear ratio 1998 4runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.barryhause.com
I followed these interactions:

Jack up the rear, mark the tire with chalk and then count how many times it takes to turn the drive shaft to make the tire go 1 full revolution, that should get you close.

result: The drive shafts turns 3 times and a little more--like a 1/4 turn. What does this tell me?
I need to get a rear diff ordered soon. Want to be sure I get the right thing.

thanks

I'm fairly certain the only gear possibilities on the 3rd gen 4Runner are 3.90, 4.10, 4.30 and [the elusive] 4.56. The 4.10 and 4.30 seemingly being the most common.

Your 3-1/4 turns doesn't sound quite right for any of those... 3.90 would be over 1/2 turn more than what you saw. I would suggest giving it another try or two to make sure it is doing what you want it to. I would also suggest you try it using 20 spins of the tire and counting the DS rotations...this way should give you a much more accurate number.

Also, what motor and trans do you have and are you 4wd?--the original *stock* gearing usually coincided with the motor and trans....

And another thing to check is the axle code on the door sticker (if the gears were ever changed, this obviously would not coincide and you def would want to verify using the instructions you have posted above). The axle codes can be decoded by using the info here: Gearratiosanddiffs and another good one using the vehicle model code http://www.sonoransteel.com/include...eel/TechArticles/1996-2004ToyotaGearRatio.pdf (but there are many accounts of folks using that information and then comparing the results of the wheel spin test and the axle code did not match....)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom