Gear Oil, what are you running?

I am trying to find out what everyone is running for gear oil? I did a search and it didn't bring back much for results:(

My FSM says I should be running SAE 90 in the diffs, transmission and transfer case but I haven't found anyplace that carries straight 90w. at least nothing that is GL-5. TSC carries 90w GL-1 straight minerial oil for ford tractors.

So I have been running 80w-90 in all the above. anyone see any problems in doing so, or is there a better option besides 80w-90?

rover67

SILVER Star

I've run 80 90 dino shlog from autozone with good results in everything.

I did mobil 1 in everything for a while, and swapped it out for dino again. Then I went to MT-90 in the tranny to get it to shift nicer... now I am back to 80 90 cheapo stuff from autozone.

synthetic is too pricey for me. the dino seems to do great...

Spike Strip

Game-Over
SILVER Star

Sta-lube 80w-90 in everything.

Heavy Duty GL-5. Mil Spec. 9020 ... But I'll prolly move to MT-90 redline for H55 when broken in.
SL2473.jpg

80w-90 dino has worked well for me as well and I really don't see a need for me to run a syn. but the FSM has me second guessing my weight choice since in specifies 90w.

Hank

SILVER Star

No problems with what you are running. There is better. I run Synthetic Viper 75w140 in my diffs. In the past I have run Amsoil with great success. Viper is much cheaper.

inkpot

SILVER Star

80w-90 dino has worked well for me as well and I really don't see a need for me to run a syn. but the FSM has me second guessing my weight choice since in specifies 90w.
Howdy! I think that 80-90W is 90W when it needs to be.Just doesn't get quite as stiff in cold weather. John

JLH911

Walmart Gear Oil for me...when I rebuilt the Diff, I'll go with Amsoil like I did with the Knuckle and Bearing Grease.

Good luck.

Have always run 80W90 in everything and never had a problem. Just bought a five gallon pail of the Coastal brand but usually always ran Valvoline.
Without a doubt buy a five gallon pail, it's a lot cheaper.

inkpot

SILVER Star

Have always run 80W90 in everything and never had a problem. Just bought a five gallon pail of the Coastal brand but usually always ran Valvoline.
Without a doubt buy a five gallon pail, it's a lot cheaper.
Howdy! I used to run the Valvoline 80/90W. I switched over to what we use at work on our big newspaper printing presses. I do get receipts to show I am paying for it. Schaeffer's industrial gear oils. It's about 2/3 times more expensive than Valvoline, but well worth it to me. Presses run cooler and quieter, and less wear on the gear teeth/bearings. I think it is 75-140W. Bucket's too faded to read. I run it in both diffs and all 3 gear boxes. John

inkpot

SILVER Star

are there any benefits/draw backs to running the 75-140w gear oil?
Howdy! Pretty much the same as motor oil. The 75 means it will perform/protect better (than straight 90) at colder temperatures, and the 140 will be better at extremely hi temps. The higher number MAY also help muffle gear noise. I do play in the desert a lot when it is over 110 degrees, so I like the idea of a little extra protection. John

Top Bottom