gear oil smell in cabin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
anyone else ever notice strong smell of gear oil wafting into the cabin after having been in 4 hi/4-lo for a while?

I just spent a few weeks fishing for salmon and needing to be in 4 Lo for a while - building up a fair bit of heat - the cabin smells like gear oil.

I suspect (hopefully) it's just vapors coming up through the rubber shift lever boot?
1605294578441.png

it has subsided and is gone now...but for a couple days the truck smelled like an old school truck repair shop. wonder if anyone else has noticed this and / or has implemented a fix?

cheers all!
pd

Or your breather is plugged up and the scent was pushed more upward out the top hat/shift boot area instead.

Have your diff breathers been extended up anywhere they could vent inside the cab?
nope - all stock on the diff breathers.

i could also add that i've noticed it when climbing a long steep grade going to wyoming and being on normal pavement - so it's not specific to being in 4hi/lo...but making the truck do some work - puts out a lot of heat - and i notice the smell in the cabin. it's not horrible...but it's there.

Replace the boots on the shift lever
yeah - i'm thinking i'll pull the cover off the tunnel and check everything.

i'm trying to find a photo for reference...but isn't the breather back on the t-case? i did have my t-case overhauled when i did the 5 speed swap, but i dont know the condition of the breather.

Have you checked your fluids?

yep - in fact just had the 5 speed and t-case drained / refilled a couple weeks ago in prep for this salmon chasing trip. fluids are good/new. i trust the shop - they fill the trans and t-case right up to the side fill hole until it just starts to spill out...

Yes the transmission doesn't have a designated breather port. In 30 years and 290,000 miles I never smelled gear oil fumes inside the cab - and I'm super sensitive to it and can't tolerate it

image.jpeg

Yes the transmission doesn't have a designated breather port. In 30 years and 290,000 miles I never smelled gear oil fumes inside the cab - and I'm super sensitive to it and can't tolerate it

View attachment 2494346
agreed...the smell of gear oil is pretty foul.

thanks for that graphic. i'll take the cover and do some investigating and report back.

I had gear oil "walking" up the speedo cable for quite some time. Lots of times could just smell it but sometimes I'd see a drip or two on the floor under the dash. Stopped when I replaced the speedo cable when I upgraded to a 5 speed.

I had gear oil "walking" up the speedo cable for quite some time. Lots of times could just smell it but sometimes I'd see a drip or two on the floor under the dash. Stopped when I replaced the speedo cable when I upgraded to a 5 speed.

This ^^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom