Gear Manufacturers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For those of you who have swapped in different gearsets, which manufacturer did you go with and how did the swap turn out?

I NEED to get some 4.88's in my 62 but I don't want to spend all that mula just to have it whine down the road.

I've heard Yukon and Precision make good gearsets, but I want to hear it from you guys!! Which manufacturer should I get my 4.88's from???

Precisions on 2 trucks-Excellent. They have a great reputation. My experience has been great. I'm sure the others are OK as well.

Motive gears worked great for me. Friend at rear end shop in San Diego told me to go with them, he said quite a few of the gear sets out there are being made outside the U.S. (namely Mexico, China and some South East islands) and the metal and/or process they use can lead to premature failures. He does high end stuff for the drag strip and SCORE vehicles so I took his advice.

Thanks for all the input guys. TOY350, which shop is that in San Diego?? I might just go there to get the work done and I'll tell them you referred me.

I went with 4.11 from Randy's in Seattle which were Yukon in the rear and the front got Precisions.

Give Randy's R&P a call. Maybe they could give you a name of someone to install them in SD. If you know of a good differential shop, then I would call them up and see how much for gears and install if you bring them both your 3rd members.

I've been trying to buy built 3rd members from Randy's for a while but they don't have any Yukon gears in stock and they can't give me an idea when they will get more. I wanted to buy the 3rd members so that when I pull my 4.11 3rd members out, it will be an easy buy for someone with a 60. Randy's tells me they have plenty of Value Gears that will probably whine, but I can't figure out for the life of me why they wouldn't have Yukons in stock.

DBS311 said:
I've been trying to buy built 3rd members from Randy's for a while but they don't have any Yukon gears in stock and they can't give me an idea when they will get more. I wanted to buy the 3rd members so that when I pull my 4.11 3rd members out, it will be an easy buy for someone with a 60. Randy's tells me they have plenty of Value Gears that will probably whine, but I can't figure out for the life of me why they wouldn't have Yukons in stock.

Call Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. He has the Yukon Gears and the proper kits for the install bearings. You can also call Reider Racing and buy the Precisions. Buying complete 3rd members seems like a big expense for nothing. Pull your thirds, and a good differential shop can do your swap in a few hours.

I would not go cheap on a gear set. If it whines, it will drive you crazy for the life of the truck. The Precisions I have in my 80 and my 40 are indistinguishable for stock. They are silent in operation.

DBS311 said:
Thanks for all the input guys. TOY350, which shop is that in San Diego?? I might just go there to get the work done and I'll tell them you referred me.

Talk to Jason at Hughes Differentials (619)659-1610, he owns and operates the shop. We (me, 82-SOA-60 & FJKai) flew Jason up here to do all our gear work, it was cheaper than any local shop. It pays to have friends in the right places :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom