gear/bearing noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi, my son just purchased a 92 cruiser with automatic trans, locking differential with 217,000 miles substantial noise coming from transfer case but only when driving forward not in reverse, also not in low range, drained gear oil and was very thin but no shavings, is this a normal sound? any hints and or opinions appreciated thanks in advance yooper2........................:confused:

Is it possible the sound could be coming from the front axle rather than the t-case?

yes, but my gut is telling me transfer case having never owned a cruiser do not really know how the old girl should sound

checked front diffential

hello jason, took a look at front differential can see grease on spheres appear to be a type of cv joint could this be the noise, also could this be dangerous thanks for your time, by the way great web site guys

yooper2 said:
yes, but my gut is telling me transfer case having never owned a cruiser do not really know how the old girl should sound

Tell your gut to remove the front driveshaft to help isolate the sound. ;p ;)

Curtis

curtis, great idea will do that after i fill my gut and hopefully not get sick from watching the packer game, keep you posted ps when in a pickle always trust your gut feeling even if its full thanks yooper2.......................

yooper2 said:
hello jason, took a look at front differential can see grease on spheres appear to be a type of cv joint could this be the noise, also could this be dangerous thanks for your time, by the way great web site guys

Ah. You mean out near the wheels? Those are a type of CV joint called "birfields". There should be a *little* grease outside the felt seals, but the more serious and unfortunately common problem is gear oil from the diff leaking past inner seals and then leaking out there. Search around the site; there's almost always a current thread about this.

Dangerous to drive? Well... if it's leaking it should be dealt with, but I've seen people put it off for quite a while. (I'm NOT endorsing this.) Absolutely make sure there's enough gear oil in the diff.

Since you're new to 'Cruisers, definitely (you or your son) get a manual (at least a Haynes, better a Factory Repair Manual). There're enough unique features on these rigs that you really can't get by without one.

Welcome,

Curtis

thanks curtis, will check that out also i currently drive a tundra and love it the cruiser seems to be a great vehicle, i truly value been there done that so thanks again for your time. yooper2......................

I'm guessing it's the front diff because either the previous owner let it get too low, or it's low now or both. If you fill it and no change then this is likely the case - pinion bearings shot. Keep it full and it will just hum for another 50,000 miles. It's likely dripping out the felt birfield sphere.

DougM

update, noise was from front differential, found it to be filled with grease,must of been leaking gear oil past seals and grease was someones fix, what a mess, any suggestions, frustrated in da up..............................

yooper2 said:
update, noise was from front differential, found it to be filled with grease,must of been leaking gear oil past seals and grease was someones fix, what a mess, any suggestions, frustrated in da up..............................

That grease came from the two steering knuckle assemblies, which are supposed to be full of moly grease. There is an inner axle seal that keeps the grease outboard of the oil and vice versa. Send me a private message or email with your mailing address and I'll send you my DVD that shows how to rebuild the entire assembly. You can order your parts at a discounted MUD price from CDan (IH8MUD user in this forum) at American Toyota in Albuquerque.

Could be loose or worn hub bearings. I had a GRRRR sound from the front end plus a small vibration. It turned that the DS hub had no preload and some axial play and the bearings were scored as a result.

I did a full axle job (new bearings, races, and oil seals) and the noise/vibe disappeared. In my case the rear hubs were also loose. Looks like the PO had a job done by a rookie or the dealer :D

wow, totaly impressed with your generosity can not say thank you enough, will keep group updated on results, just hope we will have the talent to do job inhouse. i also wish that i had the experience to help others like others on this board. sharing knowlegde is a great thing and should make yourselfs feel proud thanks again yooper2..............not the original yooper

yooper2 said:
wow, totaly impressed with your generosity can not say thank you enough, will keep group updated on results, just hope we will have the talent to do job inhouse. i also wish that i had the experience to help others like others on this board. sharing knowlegde is a great thing and should make yourselfs feel proud thanks again yooper2..............not the original yooper

Yooper2-this is a job that is VERY good to learn to do, in house. My buddy just bought a 97 80 and the seller said he had this job done-cost him $1400. We laughed as it costs us all but $200 with grease, diff oil, and parts! I do this about once a year rotating family, friends, and my rigs each year. Heck, even if you buy the Toyota Repair Manual you'll only see the cost jump $50-and the FSM (a.k.a repair manual, 'F'ield 'S'ervice 'M'anual) is a lifetime of enjoyment as well...:D

If you decide to tackle it-do speak to someone in person, who is "in the know" on parts (i.e. John Hocker at Sierra Vista Toyota-Sierra Vista, AZ, or Cruiser Dan at American Toyota-ABQ, NM). They will help you plan out what Toyota parts you will be needing throughout the whole process. You could go with a rebuild kit from another supplier-but I really do recommend staying with Toyota parts.

Then post pics and questions here as you go- there are plenty of "experts" on this board.

Also, once completed and because of the Milky, crap, hate it when it happens, grease/diff oil, sludge, goopy like, hate it when it happens sludge in the axle housing-you will want to do two or more diff oil swaps with about 500 to 1000 miles in between to clean it all out. And because you should change out a couple times, go for a cheap din diff oil. Then splurge for a good diff oil (e.g. Mobil One) at the final change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom