Gear America recovery equipment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

baldilocks

Battle Ground, WA
GOLD Star
Threads
Does anyone out there have experience with Gear America Stuff and snatch blocks in particular?

I have a pair of their snatch blocks, a 30' strap and a pair of shackles. It is quality import.
I made the mistake of buying there Smart snatch block. It’s marketed for atv’s and is compact but has a 12k pound rating which is why I bough it. The hood for the shackle is too small for the typical 3/4” shackle pin we all use. A soft shackles would work. Anyway, I ended up ordering their Mega snatch block and a couple soft shackles. This mega is very stout and has a zerk fitting. I decided to keep the small snatch block as a standby.

I made the mistake of buying there Smart snatch block. It’s marketed for atv’s and is compact but has a 12k pound rating which is why I bough it. The hood for the shackle is too small for the typical 3/4” shackle pin we all use. A soft shackles would work. Anyway, I ended up ordering their Mega snatch block and a couple soft shackles. This mega is very stout and has a zerk fitting. I decided to keep the small snatch block as a standby.
They rate at fail point, the WLL is half or less. I have the 25K blocks and feel safe to 12K. These recovery gear sellers do not have a standard they all adhere to.

Well, the mega is much beefier than the one I used for years but lost in the snow on a very dark night recently. So you are saying that I should not use the Smart snatch block to drag my 80 out of deep snow?

Any updates on this vendor? Looking to build out my basic recovery kit with their gear. Anything I'm missing or overdoing?

Recovery Gear.PNG

Any updates on this vendor? Looking to build out my basic recovery kit with their gear. Anything I'm missing or overdoing?

View attachment 2738616
The only thing I don’t see here is a snatch block or two. I have the small one and the mega. The small one is made with UTV’s in mind due to smaller storage capacity on that type of vehicle but it’s strong enough for an 80. The soft shackles are required to use with it because the hole in the snatch block is too small for a conventional shackle/“D” ring. I ordered the small one unintentionally and decided to keep it due to the cost of restocking and shipping it back. In hindsight, I wouldn’t order the small one again.

I also have two of their soft shackles and they are also beefy. I like the fact that they donate some of their proceeds to charity.

The only thing I don’t see here is a snatch block or two. I have the small one and the mega. The small one is made with UTV’s in mind due to smaller storage capacity on that type of vehicle but it’s strong enough for an 80. The soft shackles are required to use with it because the hole in the snatch block is too small for a conventional shackle/“D” ring. I ordered the small one unintentionally and decided to keep it due to the cost of restocking and shipping it back. In hindsight, I wouldn’t order the small one again.

I also have two of their soft shackles and they are also beefy. I like the fact that they donate some of their proceeds to charity.
I don't have a winch. Do I still need a snatch block?

If you believe you need a recovery kit…probably also need a winch. One is not much good w/o the other.

Sometimes $$ can be an issue when putting stuff together. But I would start with the winch 1st.

@Littlehouse you definitely don't need the 2" receiver thingy or the tow strap or two pairs of shackles. Buy the snatch rope and one pair of shackles. Then worry about getting a winch as mentioned above if you are going to be in situations where you need a winch.

They rate at fail point, the WLL is half or less. I have the 25K blocks and feel safe to 12K. These recovery gear sellers do not have a standard they all adhere to.
WLL is one third to one fifth of the fail point !! 🤷‍♂️

So 12k rated snatch block would have a WLL of 4k or less ;)

I’ve put this equipment to the test and have found it to be a solid product. The snatch block plates are thick and blunt at the connection point and did no damage to my G.A. soft shackles.

Any update on the gear America stuff? I also need to fill out my recovery kit.
It’s not like I put my recoecwry gear to the test every week but the Gear America snatch blocks and two soft shackles are stout and work as they should. I like the fact that the snatch blocks can be lubed.

To be honest I didn’t notice your last post that said everything seems to be stout and working well. I’m getting their ultra whatever snatch block, and a few soft shackle, and some tree savers. Too bad they don’t sell winch extension lines, because I want one of those as well.

I just went from a conventional snatch block to the new Factor 55 rope pulley.
It does the same job as long as you have a synthetic line.
With a fraction of the weight and space
1639526882776.png

Old set up on the right, new on the left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom