Gauges in dash help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

My oil and water gauges are off set in the dash.
For example, my oil gauge starts at about 1/4 from L and goes up to 3/4 once warmed up.

And

My water goes up to about an 1/8 and fluctuates between that and low, once warmed up.

I'm sure something is off and needs to be replaced but what part should I check?

For the coolant temperature gauge:
Pull the wire on the temperature sender located at the back of the cylinder head and ground it to the body. With the key in the ON position, the temperature needle should peg at the end of the red hot zone on the gauge.

If it doesn't, check the connections, replace the gauge with another working used one or install an aftermarket temperature gauge.

Or---

Replace the radiator, thermostat and water pump and forget about the temperature gauge. The engine won't overheat

I inquired about this with a super awesome local LC shop - and here is what I understand - and now having driven mine daily for a few months - seems legit, so I'm confident with it.
Oil Pressure is the L-H gauge for oil, it will start out low while the car arms up - and when you drive, go above half sometimes up to 3/4 -that is pressure related. If it never leaves L...you're in trouble.
Temperature often sits at about 1/3 or 1/4 on the gauge - per the shop, pretty standard for the 60/62's - its when it shoots up to 'freakin' hot' that you have to worry. Recently I swapped out some temp sensors on the thermostat housing, but also the thermostat itself and a new seal inside the housing for the thermostat (at the top of it) - and I noticed my vehicle gets to that 1/3 mark quicker than before - but still doesn't go higher. I'm confident that the shop knows whats up...and that sitting lower on the temp gauge isn't a bad thing .

My oil gage always sits at 3/4 cold or hot. If I don’t see a cloud of oil behind the truck or smell hot oil coming through the vents I don’t worry about it too much. For a while my temp gage didn’t work. Periodically I flip the heat on and set to hot. If the air is warm/hot but not giving a 3rd degree burn I do t worry about it.

My oil gage always sits at 3/4 cold or hot. If I don’t see a cloud of oil behind the truck or smell hot oil coming through the vents I don’t worry about it too much. For a while my temp gage didn’t work. Periodically I flip the heat on and set to hot. If the air is warm/hot but not giving a 3rd degree burn I do t worry about it.

My oil gauge does the same thing. I use 20W50 non-synthetic oil and live in a moderate climate (SF Bay Area). I don't burn oil, and my oil after 5k miles is the cleanest of any car I've owned.

My temperature gauge is normally around 1/4 to 1/3 with the 190F thermostat with gaskets installed. when it gets hot outside it might get a little hotter, but generally stays below the 1/2 mark. When I turn off the truck when hot and restart it shortly afterward, the temperature reads high >3/4, but the temperature quickly drops once the coolant starts circulating through the radiator. This tells me it is all working OK...

Beautiful!

Thank you everyone for the feedback, this info is exactly what I needed to steer me in the right direction.

I checked the coolant hoses after driving a bit yesterday, both the top coolant (send?) and the lower hose (return?) were both hot so I know my thermostat is still working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom