Gauge panel replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bj40green said:
And more
image-4048570425.jpg
Rudi

This one is from my truck. It was installed by MUD member phrogg4evr when built the truck a couple of years ago. Not sure of the brand as it doesn't match either the MetalTech or Trail Candy panels with respect to the signal light number and location. I like it except I'd like a voltmeter. Trail Candy makes a similar one that accepts the larger 3 3/8 tach and speedo from the AutoMeter Phantom series like this one and also has room for four of the smaller gauges. I have considered changing but I asked them if it works with the stock lower dash pad and never got a response. The 6 gauge layout has the tach and speedo across the top and the four smaller gauges in a line across the bottom. I figured I could even put them in the same order left-to-right as the stock panel.
image-4048570425.jpg

I haven't installed it yet (or even painted the panel) but this is what's going in my 40. Trail Candy panel and Classic Instruments gauges.

Very.... "Classic", I like the gauges!

I have to say I really don't like most of those clusters. The ones I do like have the four gauges in one pod. That looks much better. I found some Autometer gauges that fit very well in the stock pod, look right and work way better than stock. I have since switched the amp gauge for volts.
image-952068261.jpg

...and Classic Instruments gauges.

I'm not seeing the 80mph speedo on their web site...?

And: what are you doing for the install sender/wiring-wise?

I have to say I really don't like most of those clusters. The ones I do like have the four gauges in one pod. That looks much better. I found some Autometer gauges that fit very well in the stock pod, look right and work way better than stock. I have since switched the amp gauge for volts.

What issues did you run into during wiring installation?

woytovich said:
I'm not seeing the 80mph speedo on their web site...?

And: what are you doing for the install sender/wiring-wise?

The speedo was a special order item; the stock unit has a 200 mph readout that would be pretty silly on a cruiser! Classic also offers a sender that will fit the Toyota t-case output.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

The speedo was a special order item; the stock unit has a 200 mph readout that would be pretty silly on a cruiser! Classic also offers a sender that will fit the Toyota t-case output.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Can I ask what that all cost?

What issues did you run into during wiring installation?

Nothing other than I have the GM alternator run directly to the battery so the ammeter didn't work. I'm not using any of the stock senders. The cluster power and ground and lights are all I'm using from the stock wires.

When I looked around, I could not find anything I liked that was a ready to go solution so here's what I came up with for my 45 project.

For the gauges, I was basically looking for something that used the same colors as the original Toyota gauges (black faces, white numbers and red pointers) and also kept some of the original styling with the Speedo in center and 4 other gauges across the bottom. I was also trying to recreate some of the raised styling rather than just a flat plate.

Pictures show it in bare steel which is a good representation of what it will look like in all pewter, and then also painted in 2 tone, black silver. I'm not sure yet which way I'll go, full pewter or the two tone pewter/black.
HPIM1600.jpg
HPIM1624.jpg

When I looked around, I could not find anything I liked that was a ready to go solution so here's what I came up with for my 45 project...

Nice! I prefer the single color... How did you make the panel?

I like the VDO look above. They now make a quad gauge like the Autometer but in their classic style.. in the Viewline Onyx series. A quad and the speedo let you stuff even more gauges in, like vacuum or air pressure or a small tach (which they offer). The other nice feature of that line is there is a speedo that contains all the left/right/bright lights built in, plus a couple others (brake or charge and a custom one?).

You can buy white, black or chrome bezel/rings for them as well, or flush mount them. egauges.com carries all their line.

http://www.vdo-instruments.com/instruments/by-series/viewline-onyx.html

It would be interesting to see Classic's tcase compatible sender, would make aftermarket speedo's much easier to do.

Nice! I prefer the single color... How did you make the panel?

It's basically made of two flat plates stacked on top of each other. Then to give the lower plate some more depth, I TIG welded some 1/8" x 1/8" square around the perimeter.

This panel is mostly to experiment and get the look I wanted and then I was planning to play around with some dies to see if I could press the panel in thinner material. Maybe some 20 or 22 ga.

It could also be made from aluminum plate full thickness and that wouldn;t be too bad in weight.

I like the VDO look above. They now make a quad gauge like the Autometer but in their classic style.. in the Viewline Onyx series.

I like those Viewline Onyx. Too bad they don't have a red pointer.

Anybody do this... stock speedo with round gauges below in a stock or custom panel? Keeps the stock feeling but utilizes the full view of the new gauges (rather than using them behind the stock little windows - I think that looks a little odd most of the time (no offense Gumby))
clusterMod.jpg

I like the idea but would need to fit smaller gauges, maybe some 1.5 inchers if you can find them, or like you said, remake panel so they fit the raised section.

What's everyone doing to get past the fuel sender? Any easy fixes? I haven't researched this part yet.

Not installed as it continues to fall down the priority list.
Instrument Panel 01a.jpg

Not installed as it continues to fall down the priority list.

Very nice... those VDOs are just right. Any thoughts/plans on wiring and sensors/senders?

What's everyone doing to get past the fuel sender? Any easy fixes? I haven't researched this part yet.

I purchased the VDO fuel sender to match the fuel gauge. I plan to build my own tank. We'll see how much time and effort that will take but it is one of the main reasons I got a TIG welder. Planning to build it in either Stainless or Aluminum.

Very nice... those VDOs are just right. Any thoughts/plans on wiring and sensors/senders?

I have the VDO senders for both fuel tanks, temperature and oil pressure. I have a speedometer sender that bolts to the transfer case. 7/8 - 18 thread, hall effect, 16 pulse. I purchased online the adapter shaft to go from the transfer case output to the electronic sender input. I purchased a instrument panel harness from Centech to rewire the panel. You can see the instrument pane side of the harness in the photo. There is an inline connector so you can disconnect the panel and remove it. All the wires in the harness are hight quality and labeled as to function. The gauges and senders were purchased at:

Egauges.com

The harness was purchased at:

Centech Wire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom