Gauge panel replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I am considering a full gauge panel replacement for my 40...

I have seen the panels that MAF and 4x4 labs sell... I'm sure there are others... I am interested in:

1. Seeing pics and hearing input from people that have gone that route

2. Finding a "complete" solution. So far MAF's kit with the Painless harness seems to be the most complete - still needing to source the actual gauges. That's fine but I'd like to know how plug-n-play that is.

Thanks all,
mark

No pics- but the cluster from Proffitt's is easy to install (autometer gauges with all the required senders included in the kit).Mine works perfect with the Painless wiring harness in my truck.

Fully functioning gauges -finally:clap::steer: not pure but neither is the rest of the truck or me for that matter:flipoff2:

Replacement guages

Here are a couple of pictures of my set-up. I used Autometer digital gauges, with a combination tach / speedo. These are set in a black bezel that fits the stock cluster position on the dash. There are a number of these types of bezels available in various finishes and combinations, as I'm sure you know.

I think a Painless wiring kit would be a good way to go for simplicity though. I have not yet calibrated my fuel gauge correctly. I am still running the original tank and sender. I plan on replacing the tank soon and using an AutoMeter sender which I believe will be a simpler calibration with the gauge.

Rob
IMG_2358.jpg
IMG_2332.jpg

I do have a (basically) functioning cluster. I was thinking it might be nice to swap over to a cluster combination that offered more information... a tach for sure and maybe add some other temp readings and maybe even a clock.

here is mine. all depends on how creative you want to be. i liked the larger sizes with the angled cups, makes it very easy to read.
Pics for Insurance Company 012.jpg
FJ40 Project Pics 190.jpg
FJ40 Project Pics 191.jpg

here is mine. all depends on how creative you want to be. i liked the larger sizes with the angled cups, makes it very easy to read.

Super clean. Is that all with a v8 too? I'm curious to hear what the issues are with using aftermarket gauges with a 2F...

Last edited:
Some pics
cluster$600.jpg

DSC04438.jpg

DSCN0139-gauge.jpg

Rudi
cluster$600.jpg
DSC04438.jpg
DSCN0139-gauge.jpg

And more
guage-panel-2-9-12.jpg

img_0417a.jpg

P1080765_resize.jpg

Rudi
guage-panel-2-9-12.jpg
img_0417a.jpg
P1080765_resize.jpg

And the last one.
Proffitts Cruisers.jpg

Rudi
Proffitts Cruisers.jpg

I think I like the first one in your first post the best. I like "MILES PER HOUR" and I like the symmetrical layout... the next one in that post is my second fave...

Super clean. Is that all with a v8 too? I'm curious to hear what the issues are with using aftermarket gauges with a 2F...

yes....a Ramjet/Hughes 400/Atlas. no issues

I haven't installed it yet (or even painted the panel) but this is what's going in my 40. Trail Candy panel and Classic Instruments gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD
image-729847615.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom