Gauge cluster light out and climate control light flickers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fzj80guy

Now 100 Series
Threads
Just purchased an 01 LC this weekend. 226k. My 3rd LC. Had a 60 years ago and an 80 that was sadly totaled 3 years ago. Happy to be back! Searched but couldn’t find anyone else with gauge cluster light(s) out and a flickering light behind the climate control. They both function perfectly. I’m thinking may be as simple as the bulbs? Pull the cluster?

Are all the cluster lights out? Have you tried playing with the dimmer wheel for the cluster lights? If you spin it all the way past full bright, it will actually turn the lights back to full brightness even with headlights on. Maybe the wheel is right up against that stop and making an intermittent connection?

Last edited:
Are all the cluster lights out? Have you tried playing with the dimmer wheel for the cluster lights? If you spin it all the way past full bright, it will actually turn the lights off. Maybe the wheel is right up against that stop and making an intermittent connection?
Oh! Okay so it’s bright outside right now but the dimmer does make a difference. It will not click into a position. So it may be broken? But as I look into the odometer section of the cluster I can indeed see the brightness change as I rotate the wheel. Now I’m wondering if it’s the dimmer wheel? I’ll check it tonight once it’s darker outside. Thank you!

Great! And I misspoke earlier, when you spin the dimmer wheel all the way to the right, it should go to full brightness even with headlights on. I just did that on my way home, headlights on for rain, but bright outside and couldn't see well with the cluster dimmed.

Great! And I misspoke earlier, when you spin the dimmer wheel all the way to the right, it should go to full brightness even with headlights on. I just did that on my way home, headlights on for rain, but bright outside and couldn't see well with the cluster dimmed.
Boy I’m not sure about this feature but I’ve discovered that the gauge cluster does light up properly and responds to the dimmer if not in Auto mode on the headlight stalk. I guess Auto mode automatically reduces the gauge cluster lighting to near zero? But I do still have a flickering light behind the climate control display. Weird.

Not to hijack your thread, but my cluster light went out again (after 2 days). I'll replace the fuse and hope for the best, but something is causing it to blow. I did pull out my aftermarket radio a few days before this started happening, so I'm thinking it's somehow related.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom