Gauge/climate control issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok guys got another question I hope to get some help with. Yesterday I needed to run and pick up my boat from the shop that was servicing it. On the way I drove some forest service trails. Far from hardcore but a good time. After that I stopped in town on my way to the boat, and my open door buzzer sounded when I opened my door. It had never done this since I have owned it. At the same time all my gauges and climate control were non functional. I replaced the 10 amp gauge fuse and sure enough all is well. I drove another hour to the boat shop. Just as I began to back up to hook up the trailer, the same fuse popped again. At that moment I realized it probably popped the first time as I was backing into my spot at the store. I can’t prove that though. So I replaced the fuse again and drove straight home. When I got home, I unhooked the boat and tried to see if I could get the issue to replicate itself. Not happening. I will try again today, but I can’t help but think it had to do with the constant rain yesterday, some water splashing from puddles/trails, or both. Any ideas on what to look at first. Thanks in advance

The gauge circuit powers a bunch of stuff, finding faults can take some work. The first check is the main engine harness where it passes the EGR pipe. It should be held in place, if the clip is failed, can rub on the hot pipe, causing a short.

The gauge circuit powers a bunch of stuff, finding faults can take some work. The first check is the main engine harness where it passes the EGR pipe. It should be held in place, if the clip is failed, can rub on the hot pipe, causing a short.
Thanks I will check it out. Mine has some wraps of heat cloth from the previous owner.

I haven’t been able to check this out yet. Does any think this could involve the neutral safety switch, seeing how it may only occur in reverse? Just curious

I haven’t been able to check this out yet. Does any think this could involve the neutral safety switch, seeing how it may only occur in reverse? Just curious

Could be, it's powered by the gauge fuse. The most common fail point is at the EGR pipe, happens when the motor moves under load, causing the contact, short. The harness at that point needs to be tied in place to the motor, so it can't contact the pipe.

Could be, it's powered by the gauge fuse. The most common fail point is at the EGR pipe, happens when the motor moves under load, causing the contact, short. The harness at that point needs to be tied in place to the motor, so it can't contact the pipe.
Thanks tools, I hope to have a moment to look it over tomorrow after work. Hopefully something obvious. Nothing worse that an intermittent problem.

If you were towing a boat trailer, my first guess would be the trailer wiring harness. They are a known failure. In the RR fender well behind all the plastic.

If you were towing a boat trailer, my first guess would be the trailer wiring harness. They are a known failure. In the RR fender well behind all the plastic.
This was prior to towing the boat. I was on my way to get it when the incident occurred

Ok time for more questions after an update. I gave the rig a good look and I don’t see anything that could be causing this. Harness near the egr pipe looks fine. I got underneath to see if anything looks like it might cause trouble when wet, and I found nothing. This weekend I was out running errands and it rained while I was out. As I backed out of my parking spot the fuse blew again. I was on the way home so I didn’t stop and change it. While driving home my ultragauge alarm was going off. Checked it later and it was P0500. Searching shows VSS is related. Is it possible that my VSS is getting wet and blowing this fuse? Also where is it? I can’t find anything telling me it’s location. A pic would be great. Thanks for the help guys.

I have been reading up more on the limited info here on the VSS. I still can’t find anything mentioning it’s location. Can describe where it is? Maybe a pic? I’m assuming it’s on the t-case, but don’t know. Thanks

52576BB5-FAE1-429D-8955-561DF8A210AF.jpeg
The VSS is on the tcase output, the connector in the pic...

I also had this problem, randomly blowing the 10amp gage fuse. It would only happen in the trail, sometimes blowing once, sometimes blowing multiple times per trip... I did some research on mud, then checked/re-wrapped/properly secured engine harness at EGR, and removed all trailer wiring(and hitch, although sounds like you need yours). The fuse hasn’t popped since...

Just a note and possible area to check is the trailer harness, on my 100 I keep losing alternator charge and what I discovered was a Back-up wire on trailer harness was grounded. When ever I went to back-up the fuse would blow and battery would not charge, who would think a grounded back-up light would take out the charge circuit.

Ok great. Thanks for the help guys. I want to start by checking the VSS.

Update to those who had been following this. VSS checks good. However after some more poking around I found a wire for the reverse camera installed by the car audio shop, that was frayed under the foot rest left of the brake pedal. They installed it with it being pinched by the upper bracket. Over time it wore a hole in the insulation. My guess is it would pop the fuse when it rained, because of the increased humidity in the air. Over time it got worse and it would blow the fuse anytime I backed up. Hope this helps, and thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom