Gauge Bezel Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone ever removed the glass out of the instrument cluster for sandblasting and powder coating? Are the gaskets that hold the glass in glued into the bezel? I Don't want to destroy the gaskets. If I had to, I could ducktape the glass, sandblast and spray paint although powder coat is more durable.

Thanks Dave

I used a dremmel to remove the old paint and then I taped the glass. I used JTO's Land Cruiser Silver to paint it. It came out great. Here's a pic...looks like the last 40 it was in overheated, ran out of gas and had low oil pressure.:)

cluster1front.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, it's possible. I've restored two myself. The gaskets are rubber, and they can be reused. I repainted my gauge needles and made new instrument lettering, too. It's delicate work but well worth the effort.

Has anyone ever removed the glass out of the instrument cluster for sandblasting and powder coating? Are the gaskets that hold the glass in glued into the bezel? I Don't want to destroy the gaskets. If I had to, I could ducktape the glass, sandblast and spray paint although powder coat is more durable.

Thanks Dave

They are glued in, gently remove them and use an exacto knife to trim the glue away.

DO NOT sand blast these, only glass or walnut media. Sand will destroy them.......

JT out fitters has a close pewter silver color match.

Best,

Shane

No big deal. While you have it apart, you might want to remove the light cans to increase the brightness. I removed all 4 (2 cans & 2 barriers) and it made a big difference in reading the gauge cluster at night.
78FJ40 33.jpg
78FJ40 34.jpg

It's easy to do, just takes some patience. Here are pics of the glass and rubber gaskets and the glue mess holding them in.
Coolerman, after you refinished your cluster, did you install the glass back into the gaskets and then glue them back in as an assemble to keep the shape? This would mean the outer gasket would need to be installed free style.

I used a dremmel to remove the old paint and then I taped the glass. I used JTO's Land Cruiser Silver to paint it. It came out great. Here's a pic...looks like the last 40 it was in overheated, ran out of gas and had low oil pressure.:)SouthBoston, that cluster came out mint. Did you use a flapper wheel or sanding drum to not leave any sanding marks?

cluster1front.jpg
SouthBoston, that bezel came out mint. What type of sanding attachment did you use that didn't leave any marks behind?

No big deal. While you have it apart, you might want to remove the light cans to increase the brightness. I removed all 4 (2 cans & 2 barriers) and it made a big difference in reading the gauge cluster at night.
I read some post from others that said there may be a problem with passenger or windsheild glare. I just order the led's from superbrightlights.com and was wondering if they would be bright enough without modifying the cans or dividers

You do get a little bit of glare or "hotspot" with the cans removed, but the increase in gauge visibility is significant. If I had it to do over, I'd try the LED's first to see if that did the trick. Actually, I still have the cans, maybe I could do it over...:hmm:

Coolerman, after you refinished your cluster, did you install the glass back into the gaskets and then glue them back in as an assemble to keep the shape? This would mean the outer gasket would need to be installed free style.

:) Well.... I have not put it back together yet! After removing all the rubber and glass I baked the bezel in the oven to burn off the glue, then sand blasted it. Yes, you can use sand blasting to do the bezel. Set the blaster to about 80-90 PSI and use OLD used sand. It is very fine, almost like powder. Keep the gun moving at all times, never let it blast on one spot! Then I powder coated it with Star Dust Silver. Came out great!

It's sitting in a box right now awaiting the body to be done so I can start the reassembly. Yes I will glue the rubber back in. Someone a long time ago suggested using 3M weather strip adhesive.

SouthBoston, that bezel came out mint. What type of sanding attachment did you use that didn't leave any marks behind?

Thanks, I used the small round carbon steel wire wheel.

Is there a rustoleum paint that is close to this close to the stock color?

Don't have a Rustoleum color, but here are some other paints that folks have used over the years to match the pewter color. Found these by searching here...

Plasti-Kote GM-7181
Plasti-Coat #5412 Silver or
DupliColor #88-00511 Platinum
Ace 17047 metallic

Toyota ash grey metallic is the original color. Still available.

JT Outfitters sells [strike]the correct[/strike] a very close color in spray cans.

fixed

I'm probably too picky since I've seen different glove box doors and ash trays that didn't match. I think the JTO color is a bit light. The Toyota color has just a hint of green in it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom