Gauge and temp sender thoughts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday guys, I have just returned from a 7000km holiday over 3 weeks in my hj61, and during the drive the outside temperature was up over 40 degrees celcius for parts of the trip. The temp gauge would rise to just over the quarter mark (it usually sits just below it) unless I slowed down to about 80-90/hr. I have no idea if the actual engine temp was rising 2 degrees, or 20 degrees, so I have now decided to get a gauge to show actual engine temp. The Redarc gauge I am looking at has boost, egt, and a digital temp readout. I can choose from a surface-mount or probe-type sensors for the temp. What are people's thoughts on the best way to go? I assume with the probe-type that I will need to also purchase a radiator hose temp sender adaptor, as I don't know where else to connect it, and don't want to disconnect the original temp gauge...
Thanks for your thoughts!

IMG_2379.PNG

IMG_2380.PNG

IMG_2381.PNG

Not sure about the 60 series but on my 80 I had a blank spot on the upper water outlet from the head which I drilled and tapped for a probe. It would have been used for a coolant line tee for a turbo otherwise. Maybe look for something similar on your motor to drill and tap.

Can you put a tee in the stock location with the stock and an aftermarket sender? IMHO the stock sender is where it is for a reason, so make sense to take the temp from there if possible

Thanks for all of your thoughts / ideas. I am keen to keep the factory gauge as it is. There isn't any room for a tee off the original sender position as it is tucked in under the air one compressor bracket. As suggested, I will look for a spot to drill and tap as close to the original sender as is practical! The Redarc gauges aren't cheap, so I am keen to get it right!!

Thanks for all of your thoughts / ideas. I am keen to keep the factory gauge as it is. There isn't any room for a tee off the original sender position as it is tucked in under the air one compressor bracket. As suggested, I will look for a spot to drill and tap as close to the original sender as is practical! The Redarc gauges aren't cheap, so I am keen to get it right!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom