Gasoline Smell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SCY

Threads
Hi everybody. FJ Noobie here. Just bought a 1975 FJ40 and have noticed a strong gasoline smell when I drive her. I’ve looked into replacing the tank (factory original still in her), but I wanted to know if you would jump straight to this or if you would troubleshoot any other connections/parts first. The smell is pretty strong, and it is strongest when she’s been sitting with the windows/doors closed if that helps. Thanks.

Prior to replacing the tank, what about removing the passenger seat and inspecting all of the rubber hoses & clamps to/from the tank and the gasket for the sending unit? It might be something simple such as a loose clamp or a cracked hose?

Don’t jump to replacing the tank. Work your way through everything from where you fill the tank to where you burn the fuel. Just follow the path and make sure everything is as it should be. For example: mine had a strong fuel odor after driving. I discovered the carburetor was leaking where it meets the riser. My leak was quite literally at the last possible spot before the fuel gets burned.
596EC122-22D7-46BC-AA13-5DC85F941E22.jpeg

231F623C-21BA-43A3-8E66-8A99D69FD8ED.jpeg

6B557428-26EB-456C-B6DF-0DD0BCCBA091.jpeg

Last time mine had a gas smell, it was one of the original rubber gas lines (that connect the hard lines) near the frame that gave up the ghost. Trace all of the fuel lines, as @Green Bean and @Pitter Patter said.

With emission still intact there is a plastic tank under the cover behind the fuel fill insidenunder a separatecover. Plus rubber hoses going to the tank. You do not say if the cruiser is parked outside or in a garage. In a garage if the garage itself doesn't smell like gas would say leak is inside the cab. If outside guess smell could migrate if outside the cab and not notice outside. One think I would do is open the fuel cap right after stopping and check if the tank is under pressure. This is a sealed system and should
vent thru the charcoal canister. That's plug could create excessive pressure. Have a 73 and 76 with a sealed fuel system and tank still in the cab but have never driven either so no experience with these. 1/79+ the tank is no longer in the cab and plastic tank in under a panel that uses a gasket to seal if from the cab.

So I’ve gotten most of the seat bracket off but have one screw that is corroded/stuck. Working on getting that sucker lubed up and hopefully out tomorrow. Definitely can see where some of the gas lines have been replaced but a few older ones… one has some obvious damage. Hopefully I can get the screw out and trouble shoot it.

Is there anything special you all do to detect a leak? Or just good old olfaction?

Totally unrelated to your fuel smell issue... but to the extent that you do not already have a tube of anti-seize, I would encourage you to get a tube at your local auto parts store. It is useful to apply to the threads of bolts before re-installing. A little goes a long way.
Amazon product ASIN B002YLTGIA

look under passenger seat floor board, there is a quarter sized hole roughly in middle, is it wet around hole ? sniff test it if it is, if you have fuel there then the tank, pick up line and or vent line are leaky.

Here’s an update. I exposed the tank and learned some things. First, I thought the original tank was there, but it is plastic so must have been replaced at some point. I attached some pics below. I smell gas at two points marked by the arrows below. In the second picture, I cannot discern if the smell is from the filler tube or the smaller one, so I’m going to change the filler tube (marked “x”) first just because it looks so bad otherwise. I smell gas where you see the squiggles.
B4200FD9-9B77-4AC7-B9FD-5855AAE2A140.jpeg
079FA590-B31A-4F7E-9EC8-AEFE8EC80193.jpeg

Finally got it done. I have a pics of what I replaced below. I realized that not only had the PO replaced the tank, but they used a tube to connect the gas filling inlet to the tank that wasn’t capable of handling gasoline, so there was significant breakdown. The guys at the local auto shop were able to find me something more compatible. I couldn’t convince myself that there weren’t leaks where the vent elbow entered the tank, so I reinforced that connection with a circle of epoxy. The strong gas odor is gone. Now hopefully the seat will air out from any residual odor.

550262BF-730E-413F-BEE7-1587434AD8C3.jpeg