Gasket sealant needed for 2F cylinder head gasket repair? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Putting rebuilt head on my '84 LC with the 2F. I have the OEM head gasket and wondering if a sealant is needed? Part number is 11115-61010. Thanks, fellas.

IMG_2650.jpg

No-
Although spray on Copper Coat (on the head gasket before installing it) won't hurt anything- it'll glue the head down so tenaciously that you'll need a hydraulic jack to pry it off -- splitting the gasket in two.
Highly not recommended

Clean and dry. Make sure you don’t get it on backwards. Tab on gasket sticks out the BACK of the block...

Dry.

I thought the '84 takes the 61030 HG ?

@Onur ?

The 61010 will be fine. The 61030 is an updated gasket, but I don't see that it's superseded the 61010 gasket (yet?)

Here's a pic of the 61030. Any diff?

View attachment 2286655

image.jpeg

Last edited:
That would involve me going back downstairs and looking. I'm tired after scraping the old gasket, etc. off the block this afternoon! I'll check in the morning before heading to work. Thanks again!

Your year for the engine calls for the 11115-61010 HG. It is not superseded to the -61030 gasket.

That tells me there are enough changes between the two to necessitate a separate part number for the -61030 HG (changes could be in the head or the top of the block... IDK... could be in the engineering of the HG itself or the size of the holes in the gasket... I don’t have any 2F stuff here anymore to compare).

I found some of Jim's postings on this:

The HG should match the head. Earlier heads have a flow director and need a gasket to feed it. Later heads are cast different with no flow director & use a gasket that directs cooling toward the exh ports.
The difference that I remember (and is not visible on the 61010 above) is the 61010 had different waterholes at the rear of the head to feed the flow director that pointed at #6 exhaust.

Other than that, all 2F/3F HG look pretty much the same.

I think the change-over was 11/84

Thanks, guys. I put the VIN in on the Toyota site and it brought up the 61010. Unless there's a glaring difference when I get the head back, I'll stick with it. I appreciate your help.

FWIW, I have a 5/85 and I used the 61010 which was the only HG available at the time the engine was rebuilt and no issues. More important is making sure your cooling system is perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom