gasket question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a question about the supposed gasket that remains once you've pulled your carb off. 81 fj40 with all the smog gear. In this post
here Jim C talks about a gasket not being necessary. I called the dealer and the guy told me the only thing he had was the tray / block combo, which would also backup Jim C that the thin gaskets are aftermarket (like in the ones from SOR in the post referenced above). The tray / block combo was 90 bucks -ish. Since it doesn't appear that there really is a thin gasket on top that comes off, I won't need one :) My question is, do I need to put anything on top of this surface before I seat the carb on it upon re-install? Here's a pic of what I'm talking about: pic

Thanks in advance.

I install a new gasket everytime I remove and install a carb, as it is way too easy for a vacuum leak to develop, and it is cheap insurance, but that is just me.

The gasket is part of the insulator, and not serviced seperately at the dealer.

Gasket paper is cheap.

Good luck!

-Steve

I understand where you're coming from Poser. It seems like it should have a new gasket put on, but then again it didn't come factory with it. I'm confused, which is why I posted originally. I'd like to hear other opinions. It would suck either way to have a vacuum leak as a result of getting my carb rebuilt.

jjhancock said:
... but then again it didn't come factory with it.

Oh but Patowan, it did come from Japan with a gasket there, IT IS PART OF THE INSULATOR ASSEMBLY.

(it really did :) )

:beer:

Good luck!

-Steve

jjhancock said:
I've got a question about the supposed gasket that remains once you've pulled your carb off. 81 fj40 with all the smog gear. In this post
here Jim C talks about a gasket not being necessary. I called the dealer and the guy told me the only thing he had was the tray / block combo, which would also backup Jim C that the thin gaskets are aftermarket (like in the ones from SOR in the post referenced above). The tray / block combo was 90 bucks -ish. Since it doesn't appear that there really is a thin gasket on top that comes off, I won't need one :) My question is, do I need to put anything on top of this surface before I seat the carb on it upon re-install? Here's a pic of what I'm talking about: pic

Thanks in advance.

No, IMHO you don't need anything after-market. I've pulled my carb off quite a few times for EX/INT manifold gasket replacement and carb kits. I've never had a problem.

So the gasket you speak of that was on it when it came from Japan... that is part of the insulator assembly, and is what's in the picture I posted, right? Everything pictured stays, and then I would place another gasket, like the SOR one (paper type) in between that insulator assembly and the carb itself. Do I want a gasket there b/c what's pictured is worn and being old tends to not seal as well with the carb, so the new gasket is just more protection against a possible vacuum leak?

I guess if I don't know or am unsure maybe it's better to just go ahead and get that gasket for re-installation of the carb. Thanks for the info Poser.

I put one on both sides of the insulator assembly: manifold to insulator and insulator to carb....

I have removed carbs in the field that were acting up, and put them back on without installing gaskets. However, that was a 'field fix' and not something that I would practice in the shop....but again, it is just me. Everyone has different expierences with things. I have done what Jim C. and others suggest to do, and ended up with a leak, with no visible damage to the gasket mating surfaces. That is why I have gaskets on hand, and use them. :)

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom