Gas tranny in Diesel Truck? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi I'm 60 series owner and am new to this forum. I picked up a 1983 Toyota 1/4 ton with a diesel engine(sorry don't know the engine model designation). The transmission is shot(5 speed) and I was wondering if I can swap in a five speed from a gas truck(maybe with the bellhousing)? Can anyone advise. All info is appreciated.

Thanks

Hi I'm 60 series owner and am new to this forum. I picked up a 1983 Toyota 1/4 ton with a diesel engine(sorry don't know the engine model designation). The transmission is shot(5 speed) and I was wondering if I can swap in a five speed from a gas truck(maybe with the bellhousing)? Can anyone advise. All info is appreciated.

Thanks

I've swapped them here just swap the bellhousing over all props will match

The transmissions themselves are not gas or diesel specific. A W56 is a W56, an R151 is an R151. The only difference is the bellhousing.

It'll totally work. I wish that I would have just gone to the junkyard and pulled an R150f out of a V6 truck and put that behind my 2LT-E, just to avoid the 4WD ECU mess (the 4WD ECU won't allow you to engage 4WD while moving--the manual T-case do)

Dan

Dan, there's probably a fix for that problem! :cheers:

Haven't found it yet, and I've tried a lot of crazy jumper wires to see if I could. I'm just too stubborn to remove the super cool button on my T-case shifter. I paid good money for that LHD shifter, so I intend to keep it, dang nabbit!

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom