Gas tank venting - capping lines... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had replied to an old post (https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=41120), but never heard back from anyone and could really use some advice. Please see the last post to the thread.

Here is what my buddy did with his (pics attached).

Is this safe?

Any reasons why I should/shouldn't do this?

Thanks!

Brian
2005_0107Image0011 (Small).JPG
2005_0107Image0012 (Small).JPG

'74 - isn't that the line that goes to the fuel pump?

If you look in the bottom right of the top pic - you can barely see the line going through the floorboard that goes to the fuel pump.

That is the way he set it up...

you can do this and it will work fine, BUT you will probably get some major fumes coming out from the tank. The stock "seperator" piece is used to eliminate this and allow expansion and contraction in the tank. The stock seperator is connected to the charcoal canister in the engine bay which reuses the fumes in the engine. I have heard others have used vented gas caps to allow the expansion of gasses to the atmosphere. I had my tank all capped off as you show before and had major gas smells especially when going up into the mountains in elevation. I used the stock seperator and connected it to the chevy charcoal canister and have no more problems. I would say get yourself a stock fj40 seperator used and connect it up as it should be.

Noah

Guppie,

My rig is a '71 so all my fuel stuff is/was stuffed in the middle front seat and not in the engine compartment. I have acquired a fuel seperator at some point so I actually do have one from a '73. I'd rather not have a bunch of fumes in my rig since you say it happens at higher elevations - I live at 7000 feet so would guess I would get fumes 24/7.

Can someone take a couple of pics of where this goes, how it is plummed and also of their charcoal canisters?

fyi, it is not ONLY at higher elevations, it is when MOVING from different elevations as the tank will need to expand and contrast. Sound like you got what you need to do it. I would use the search button as this has been discussed before and the pics/info you are looking for is probably already in the forum. Do you have a charcoal canister? Specter off road I think may have some info on their website to show the connnections.

Noah

Hi All:

I believe the line on the side of the tank is the fuel return line.

The three capped-off lines go to a fume collector doo-dad that mounts next to the fuel pointing.

Like others have mentioned you risk gas fume problems on hot days or when at higher elevations (from expansion.)

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Guppie,

I have done a search but still not finding any pics to a '73 or later whose charcoal canister and separators are in the engine compartment.

I also don't have a charcoal canister from that vintage. Anyone got one they want to sell?

Here is the link to SOR's website for the charcoal canister (http://www.sor.com/sor/cat048.tam?xax=1419&page.ctx=cat048.tam) and to their separator (http://www.sor.com/sor/cat168.tam?xax=10581&page.ctx=cat168.tam). I am a visual learner and just not understanding where all of this mounts in the engine and would greatly appreciate any pics of a stock setup of a '73 or later.

Thanks again for all your input.

you're in luck, mine is 73, completely bastardized 73 but a with a 73 front tank setup, ping me tomm at: nbwebmail@adelphia.net and remind me to post some pics for you of how everything hooks up. I was supposed to go to superstition 8 tomm but am too lazy and half drunk right now, :)

guppie

I have a 73 and have capped off the lines. But my set up differs from yours:
Referencing first picture- I am using the fitting you have capped on the side of the tank to feed the engine with fuel. What are you using as the fuel feed line?

Second picture- I have capped the left and middle lines as you have. The line to the right you have capped- I use this as my return line.

I have had no problems with fumes, but it is possible they my be venting through the cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom