gas tank vent plug size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced my gas tank with one from I think 74. My rig is a 69 so I don't have any place for the extra gas tank vents to go to. I've got three of them that need to be plugged. Well, after parking up on a snowbank during lunch, and having a lot of gas leak out of one of those vents while eating lunch, I'd really like to get them plugged! Anyone have any idea what to use to plug those? I heard brass pipe fittings would work. Any thoughts anyone?

I'm not sure what size they are(or even what they look like) but how about a piece of hose(fuel rated) and a bolt stuffed in the end, hose clamp it down.

FYI- Your original '69 tank was 18 gal. The '74 is 16.

I took 5/16 fuel line and tied two of them together, and then took a short piece of hose, and put a bolt in it, and hose clamped it. While the bolt idea is ghetto, it works for the time being, until you can find a better method. You need about a foot of hose, four hose clamps and a bolt that fits snuggly into the hose. This will get you by for now.

You can look at an autoparts store, they may have 5/16" rubber caps to go over the hose barb that should be what comes out from your tank, but you probably will have to hose clamp them as well.

Good luck!

-Steve

you mean my getto fab idea wasn't that bad? :D

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=10724;start=msg96368#msg96368 date=1075312704]
FYI- Your original '69 tank was 18 gal. The '74 is 16.

I took 5/16 fuel line and tied two of them together, and then took a short piece of hose, and put a bolt in it, and hose clamped it. While the bolt idea is ghetto, it works for the time being, until you can find a better method. You need about a foot of hose, four hose clamps and a bolt that fits snuggly into the hose. This will get you by for now.

You can look at an autoparts store, they may have 5/16" rubber caps to go over the hose barb that should be what comes out from your tank, but you probably will have to hose clamp them as well.

Good luck!

-Steve
[/quote]

It has been working in my truck for years, as I can not find a cap that fits tight, and does not dissolve after a week in contact with fuel, and get caught up in my fuel filters...

-Steve

You can skip the rubber hose, find a bolt that fits into the hole with nearly no clearance, coat the bolt with a gasoline safe permatex and plug it in there. Then, for extra safety purposes, wrap the end with black duct tape or electrical tape.

Got a part number on a gasoline safe permatex?

No :-[

I have used "the Right Stuff" from 3M to seal around the edges of my gas tank inlet where the short rubber hose that is clamped on leaked fumes no matter how I clamped it. No fumes now for 2 months, and it was a daily issue. If you find a tight fitting bolt, the actual sealant surface exposed to what will be mostly fumes will just be that tiny bit in the thread groove at the tank end of the bolt. Seems better than broken down rubber. :D

Sounds like broken down rubber is why you can not get that hose to seal...

Was suggesting fuel line, new hotness, not old and busted....MIBII

I am not aware of any product made by permatex that is impervious to fuel, or fumes. Hopefully someone does...I would love to test this stuff...

-Steve

ha ha, that short rubber hose is the one that leaked in my rig during lunch today. I knew I had to replace it. Mine looks like some old aquarium hose that had dried and cracked. When I parked up on the snow bank it was so steep that the fuel was running out that crack!

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=10724;start=msg96443#msg96443 date=1075321256]
Sounds like broken down rubber is why you can not get that hose to seal...

[/quote]

Brand new from the factory OEM Hose, dude. :D

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=10724;start=msg96565#msg96565 date=1075338635]
Brand new from the factory OEM Hose, dude. :D
[/quote]

What type of krap klamp are you using? Please do not say one of those :rainbow: oem wire jobs...

They blow goats...

dude...

[quote author=Travis_Kinney link=board=1;threadid=10724;start=msg96478#msg96478 date=1075326121]
ha ha, that short rubber hose is the one that leaked in my rig during lunch today. I knew I had to replace it. Mine looks like some old aquarium hose that had dried and cracked. When I parked up on the snow bank it was so steep that the fuel was running out that crack!
[/quote]

So is this the 1/2" one that goes from the filler neck to the tank, following the large fill hose?

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=10724;start=msg96570#msg96570 date=1075338868]
What type of krap klamp are you using? Please do not say one of those :rainbow: oem wire jobs...

[/quote]

Right you are. :cheers:

Well, there is problem #1.

Those klamps are krap, period.

They all are replaced with a good stainless hose clamps, whenever I work on a vehicle with them.

Loose that junk klamp, and you will not need that 3M stuff...

Good luck!

-Steve

krap klamp-krap klamp.

Oh, and to anyone that wants to whine about stainless hose calmps, if you do not overtighten them, they work great.

Put away the half-inch impact and the 5/16" socket...

You aren't the first person to tell me that those clamps are for sheit.

Oh, well, they worked well for the first 32 years. *SIGH*

:p

but stainless clamps can cut the hose :flipoff2:

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=10724;start=msg96581#msg96581 date=1075340104]
Oh, and to anyone that wants to whine about stainless hose calmps, if you do not overtighten them, they work great.

Put away the half-inch impact and the 5/16" socket...
[/quote]

There you go. I knew there was a reason to keep the funky wire clamps. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom