Gas Tank / Traction Bar Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EWheeler

4 Cruisers, No Garage !
GOLD Star
Threads
So when I bought my 40, I had no idea what I wanted to do with it, I just knew wanted it, or should I say wanted one. I have decided to make my rig a little more trail capable and one of the components I will need to add is a traction / wrap bar to keep my rear leaf springs in shape. I have an '80 40 with the tank under the body which will not allow me to make a crossmember to mount a traction bar to. I have put in a couple of hours of research into auxillary tanks, and alternative tanks both here on MUD and also on Pirate. The only options I have found are the Con-fer tank ($$$$$) and a mid 90's s-10 blazer tank that mounts between the frame rails in the rear. Both of these options hang I think 6-8 inches below the frame and would require some type of skid plate for protection. I just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone has any experience with another type of tank or has any other knowledge they have been storing up in their dome that they are willing to drop at this time. Thanks,

Evan

Edit:

I plan on extending my wheelbase in the rear, which is why I am trying to find other options for tanks. From what I have read, rear tanks will not work if you extend your wheelbase.

Last edited:
Do a couple searches in the 40 series tech. I asked the same question and there are a few pictures of how folks accomplished this with a later model 40. There is a better solution than swaping fuel tanks.
Are you SOA? I'm imagining so otherwise you wouldn't need the track bar, but i have to ask:eek:.

I am going to fab mine similar to the JK customs anti-wrap bar. I'm using Ruffstuff's lay back mount for the rear axle and a piece of 2"x1/4" square tube for the bar offsetting everything slightly right of center. I will cut the bar, bend and re weld for the proper angles. For the forward mount, I will mount it to my DOM skid plate (Poser's design, and in my ROTW thread in my sig line) in a swingset fashon with a johnny joint on the track bar.

The bar doesn't need to travel all that far up and down so I'm fairly certian I can get the travel I need without hitting the fuel tank skid plate. Like I said, others have done it with success.

HTH,
-Stump

can you switch to any earlier tank thats under the passenger seat?

Not without cutting out the floor. The late model cruisers have a different style floor than the early models to accommodate the tank underneath the body. I guess it would be possible to remove my tank, cut out the floor and make the early tank fit. Definitely an option and one that I hadn't considered. I have thought hard about buying an early tub as I am in the process of repairing a bunch of rust and it would make my life much easier to swap out a tub that is in better shape. That would solve my tank problem and possibly my rust problem as well.

Stump, thanks for the info. I will have to do some more digging around and try to find those threads. I just read through your ROTW and I must say nice cruiser!!! Very well thought out and functional. I am really digging your skid plate and track bar mount idea. Will have to see if I can build something similar. I would definitely like to keep my tank where it is as it is just more time and money keeping my rig off the road trying to swap in another tank. It works just fine where it is if I can figure out my traction bar. Again, thanks for the idea!

Evan

Yep, I found that link last night and was going to post it up so others could see. I think I will head that route, but use your skid plate mount idea. I have an AA rock box so there is no room for a crossmember between my transfer and gas tank for trac bar mounting. Thanks for your help :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom