Gas Tank Rot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my 2005 developed a fuel odor and the check engine light came on. Upon inspection the top of the gas tank is toast. I guess too many Vermont Ski Trips has taken its toll. The job is a liitle too much for me so I am sticking a fork in her. Shame, it runs sweet and only at 209 on the clock. She served me well and was the 4th one I've owned in my 62 years. After years of lurking and getting answers to solve some issues on this last one, I want to thank the collective knowledge that is this forum. Ride on .

How big of a job would that be? Are tanks available?

I have a leak from somewhere on top of my tank, I was hoping it was the line not the tank.

Wait so you are just giving up on it? Do I need to drive to NJ and tow that thing back to MT

How big of a job would that be? Are tanks available?

I have a leak from somewhere on top of my tank, I was hoping it was the line not the tank.
I had rot on the top of my gas tank that led to holes causing gas leakage and smells. The part itself is available, but it's pricey--like $1200 or some such BS. My filler neck broke apart during the repair job. Fun times...

I had rot on the top of my gas tank that led to holes causing gas leakage and smells. The part itself is available, but it's pricey--like $1200 or some such BS. My filler neck broke apart during the repair job. Fun times...
Bummer! No one makes aftermarket cheaper? Junkyard maybe

There are after market makes but I would go with car-part.com and find something on there. I got a used tank in great condition with the skid plate for $250 shipped to me. Some reconditioning and rubber coating on the whole thing and it’s new. Not installed yet though…. My lines are toast as well so those were bought from Toyota along with some gaskets for the fuel tank replacement. All in so far for “new” tank, skid, fuel lines, gaskets and fuel filter I am sub $450.

Something seems amiss here. Is the tank the only part of the truck that's rusty?

The truck is great, runs sweet, but is a paper weight because of the fuel tank?

It would be easier to replace the fuel tank than try to sell a car with no fuel tank. They can be purchased for $150. I just did it.

IDK.. there's a lot more value to me in my truck than to toss it over a maintenance item.

Maybe post some pics so we can help point you in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom