Gas tank removal and cleaning / FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 76 fj40. The gas tank is rusted and clogs my fuel filter and carb. Can anyone give me some instructions on taking out the tank? I've already drained the gas by removing the plug. Thanks.... davidgray@sc.rr.com

If you got the plug out you are already lucky. Pull the passenger seat, disconnect the wires to the sending unit, take off the tank cover, disconnect the filler hose, fuel supply lines and the fuel separater lines and lift 'er out.
After the tank is out you can inspect the bottom and remove the sending unit and see just how big your problem is. If the sending unit it encrusted with rust that's that's not a good sign.
Just remember, even though you just drained this thing it is still full of vapor and a potential bomb. Be careful with any sparks or open flames. (do you smoke?)
Are you trying to restore this tank?

Pull the passenger seat,

...which requires pulling the driver's seat. :crybaby:

If it's that rusty, start looking for a new tank. There's one on sfbay.craigslist for $120, or look on the classifieds forum. They're also available new from Toyota. Send a PM to Beno and as him how much.

Not my listing: Craigslist: FJ40 Parts

Not a smoker. I guess it depends on the condition of the tank if I will need to get a new one. There is a local radiator shop that can clean and coat the interior I'm told (maybe). Not sure of the $ amount. Thanks for the instructions.

Note that it probably still has a good amount of gas in it even though you drained it - mine did anyway - isn't it the fumes that go bang anyway? ( update - sorry to repeat - didn't read all of the second post)

Bit off thread topic but...
Anyone have pictures of the original factory padding that the gas tank sits on (no longer available from Toyota)?

Last edited:
I've heard that the coatings are no good. They eventually degrade and then clog everything. Anyone know a good one? Just put some kerosene and gravel in it and shake it up.

Anyone have pictures of the original factory padding that the gas tank sits on (no longer available from Toyota)?

Most recently I used three cut sections of bicycle inner tube. Keep the channels free for fluids to drain out. Toyota made them downhill to the drain hole for a reason. My PO or her mechanic put the pads in the channels where they collected mud and other organic debris, then rusted over the years. :bang:

I got it uninstalled pretty easily actually. It was easier than I had expected. It looks pretty bad in some areas from what I can see. With all the gas drained out now, I plan to take it to a local guy and get an estimate.

There was not a pad under the tank. Any suggestions? Maybe the rubber sheets ( 1/8" thick) at Lowe's or Home Depot?

I have had excellent results with a sealer called Red Kote from many auto parts stores. I use a handful of fence wire staples (local hardware store) rather than gravel; they clean better. Rinse well with water and drain as well as possible. Pour in a couple of bottles of rubbing alcohol to remove the last of water; drain well and let dry in sun for a day. Follow direction on sealer can. Have done several tanks --40's and other old cars--with no problems on any of them

There was not a pad under the tank. Any suggestions? Maybe the rubber sheets ( 1/8" thick) at Lowe's or Home Depot?
I bought some cheap rubber floor mats from AutoZone for $10. They come with 2 fronts and 2 rears. The rears are just about the right size for under the tank. Minor trimming required. The fronts just happened to fit nicely in the floor, just like they're supposed to.

I have a good tank waiting to replace my leaky stocker. It's coated with some sort of varnish, not rust. Any suggestions for removing it so I can finally install the good tank? (Sorry for the thread hi-jack)

That's not varnish... its actually gasoline residue or gasoline that has gone bad and some components have evaporated... Leaving gas in an unused car is a pretty bad idea...

That's what I used. The type that is used for roofing with a self sticking side to it. Works great !

That's not varnish... its actually gasoline residue or gasoline that has gone bad and some components have evaporated... Leaving gas in an unused car is a pretty bad idea...

I found it like this. How do I safely remove the goo? The new tank has a center baffle while my current one doesn't.

Well....I got my tank back and it had a pin hole leak! Cool Cruisers has a good deal on an aftermarket tank that includes the sending unit. That is what I got. I did not feel good about having the old tank repaired.

That's what I used. The type that is used for roofing with a self sticking side to it. Works great !

Just a FYI Toyota used a felt material not rubber for these pads. While felt with adsorb moisture it will also let it breath and dry. Works great here in the desert.
Not sure if moisture get between the rubber and steel if it will rust or if it is worst having the felt adsorb moisture.

That's what I used. I cut 4 square ones about the size of the 1 original that was still under the tank. About 2" x 2". They've been there better than ten years. I pulled the tank last summer and there wasn't even the slightest hint of rust. Your mileage may vary. The felt strips were on top of the tank (but under the cover) when I first got my truck. I went off the picture in the link below.

http://www.sor.com/shared/image/168a2.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom