Gas Tank Pressure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wxm

Threads
I refilled my 96 LX this afternoon, the pump kept stopping as if the tank were full I know it was not since I only had 1/4" tank left. Kept restarting for more than a dozen time. I have had this lately, but it was never this bad. Any idea what went wrong?

Bad pump handle?
All gas pumps do the same thing?

#16 maybe? Idk if it's different for the 96 or not
Strange it appears to show the vapor canister mounted above the inspection hole.

But critically, can a new OEM canister really be had for a '93 80 series, here and now, today?

This happens a lot on my truck. If I lift the handle up and hold it there, the pump will not click off.

Next fill up, try a different gas pump.

The test for fuel tank pressurization is that when you open the gas cap on a full tank after some driving, it shoots fuel out at you like a spitting cobra. A slight hiss is normal, even lasting up to 5 seconds or so as the pressure bleeds out. If it exhales any longer than that, you may have to start looking into the run of parts: charcoal canister, vent valve, etc.

Having been through this 2× before with fuel tank replacements due to "The Oilcan Crack", I'm cautious whenever I refuel the truck to listen for over pressure. This doesn't sound like that,

Ditto on crappy fuel nozzle, I usually have to hold it at a certain gas station so it doesn't click off. I also refuse to fill up my Harley at the same gas station as it is a pita.

Fuel tank Pressurization:. Refueled my truck and it sat for a few days and then had gas overflowing from the fuel cap. Opened the cap and maybe a quart of gas came out and put the cap back on once it stopped. Two days later without driving it at all, had the same thing happen except more fuel came out. Any ideas? I would rather it suck it down then to spit it out. (Sea level, Texas hot)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom