Gas tank failure, 2000 w/210k in PA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All-
I live in PA and my 100 is starting to fall victim to road salt. Its not my daily drive, but I've been nursing it along. It has spent all 19 of years here in PA... The latest damage is the fuel tank. Slow gas leak (few drops an hour) from what appears to be the seam area.

Any one else have to replace a fuel tank due to rust damage?

The skid plate under the tank is completely rotted so I need that, the tank, support straps. I have a trusted mechanic that is very particular and has done good work for me on this and other Toyotas over the years.

Estimate including labor was ~$3,000 for above parts in addition to some other mounting hardware, lines, and maybe a gasket seal for the fuel pump. Does that sound reasonable? If so, I'm going to have a tough decision to make.

Thanks

Seems high. Retail on a brand new tank is $800, can be had for $600ish online. I would bet you could get the whole assembly including the skids and pump, straps, etc from a yard for even less.

On top of getting the parts yourself for cheaper, even if you only have a little mechanical know-how you could do the labor yourself.

Seems high. Retail on a brand new tank is $800, can be had for $600ish online. I would bet you could get the whole assembly including the skids and pump, straps, etc from a yard for even less.

I would think if no bolts broke, replacing the tank would be a 4 hour job??
good used tanks are available, I sold a tank, skidplate and straps to a guy in NY in Dec.

Hi All-
I live in PA and my 100 is starting to fall victim to road salt. Its not my daily drive, but I've been nursing it along. It has spent all 19 of years here in PA... The latest damage is the fuel tank. Slow gas leak (few drops an hour) from what appears to be the seam area.

Any one else have to replace a fuel tank due to rust damage?

The skid plate under the tank is completely rotted so I need that, the tank, support straps. I have a trusted mechanic that is very particular and has done good work for me on this and other Toyotas over the years.

Estimate including labor was ~$3,000 for above parts in addition to some other mounting hardware, lines, and maybe a gasket seal for the fuel pump. Does that sound reasonable? If so, I'm going to have a tough decision to make.

Thanks
I just did this for $1300 parts and labor. I went with the Spectra tank and straps from RockAuto. It was about $300 for those, and about $ 350-400 for OEM seals, gasket, and tubes. The only thing I didn't replace was the filler neck and skid plate. I had the stealership do the labor. Took them 7 hours. They quoted me $2500 for everything, so I saved ~$1200 by sourcing my own parts.

On other vehicles with leaky seams, I've just used a POR-15 fuel tank repair kit. You drop the tank, clean it out, and roll the sealer around inside it, and let it cure for a day or so, and it'll be rock solid.

I did this on mine for cheap over the summer, bought the Spectra tank for like $350 shipped on Amazon. It came with gaskets, I didn't replace any hoses or pump or anything. It took me a day to put in and I'm a novice at best. $3k is crazy

If the rust was bad enough to eat the tank, skid and strap, I'd be all of the bolts/nuts are also rusted/frozen - and will add a chuck to the labor cost. Could be what's driving up that estimate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom