gas tank cleaning? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I pulled the tank on my cruiser the other and I was going to paint it but its all rusty in side. I stuck my hand in the gas tank filler tube part and it was sick. it was like a rust sluge stuff. what the best way to clean the inside out with?

The best thing to do is to take it to a radiator shop to get it fixed. The will charge you about $150 and they will clean it and line the inside with a quemical that will protect it from rust.

- Rico.

POR-15( www.por15.com ) makes a product for cleaning and sealing the inside of fuel tanks; never tried it myself but have been impressed with their other products.

hey gus I'll have to looking into that stuff. it seams like it might be the wasy to go. Has anyone used this stuff? Anyone have any other ways that they have cleand the inside of there gas tanks?

What is the condition of the outside of the tank, especially the bottom and along the seams?

B6i6K6e6R6b6O6y said:
hey gus I'll have to looking into that stuff. it seams like it might be the wasy to go. Has anyone used this stuff? Anyone have any other ways that they have cleand the inside of there gas tanks?

I have used a piece of chain in mine along with the cleaning solution. Rattle it around in there to bust off some of the scale.

Poser is right on checking the rest of the tank, as cleaning may open up some pinholes that are "self-sealed" with shellac.

Oh, and the POR stuff is what I have in mine and it does just fine. The only leak I have is at the sending unit gasket and I'm fix'n to fix that.

GL

Ed

that tank seems really solid all around but I'll go and check tomorrow in the day light.

I've used the Por15 kit in my tank and it works great, just a lot of steps! They have marine clean that you rinse the tank with then self etching primer, rinse that out completely then when completely dry the Por15 gets poured in, you roll it around for about 2 hours then drain the excess. If your tank is like mine and the drain plug doesn't completely drain everything... then more rolling the tank around to get all the excess out so that the Por15 doesn't pool up in any areas. You must make sure the tank is bone dry, if even a small drop of water gets in the Por15 it will ruin the project. PM me if you have any more questions about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom