gas smell - inside at driver's seat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

loeky

SILVER Star
Threads
there seems to be a faint smell of gas that seems to have developed and is noticable from the driver's seat. nothing to smell inside the engine bay and no visible/apparent leaks that i can see.

i've done some searching this morning here on mud and will be looking into the rear quarter panels to see if i can narrow it down a little. problem is that there is no visible ground spotting or smell in the back seat or underneath the vehicle. i did just fill up yesterday as well and the smell seems more prevelant with a full tank.

i haven't seen anyone mention having this smell inside in the front. anyone out there ever experience this?

I had a gas smell problem, but mine was because the cap didn't seal well to the filler neck. And my whole truck smelled like gas. I replaced the filler neck, and the problem was gone. I've never had an "only in the front" smell problem.

still, replace gas cap with an OEM one. its cheap and it might work.

10-4. actually have a locking gas cap coming in today from CCOT, so hopefully that will cure the problem. it's possible that it's smelly everywhere. i'll have to get my gf to smell around and help me locate if possible.

bruiser - when you say filler neck, you mean the hose connecting the intake to the fuel tank. correct? i'll look and see if that is cracked this evening.

Mine had the same filler neck problem. The neck was worn where the cap attaches and caused a leak when filled up. Replaced the neck and cap. No problems since.

i just went and looked up the filler neck at SOR and it's presently $135. i'm going to have to scout around for a more realistic price if it's really needing to be replaced.

browser5031 said:
Mine had the same filler neck problem. The neck was worn where the cap attaches and caused a leak when filled up. Replaced the neck and cap. No problems since.

I had the exact same problem.

Check here for someone parting out a '60. I paid $30 plus shipping for a perfectly good used one. (By the way... run your tank to EMPTY before swapping them out. Ask me how I know) :doh:

good reminder. i had called when i got the truck about the recall but got some lamer that didn't know squat and forgot to call back and talk to someone more knowing. i'll follow up on this tomorrow when i have the VIN.

Please let us know what happens. I have the smell. It's been like this for a while. At first I thought it was the connection from the tank to the filler. But maybe it's the gas cap. Although mine does seal well when I go to fill up I hear the sucking sound fron the seal. Maybe its leaking every so often. I know I must try a fey time to get it on correct. And it passes our state gas cap seal test. It seem to come when I drive it hard. And it's not very repeatable.

thanks

bob

stop FARTING in the driver seat

norville said:
Although mine does seal well when I go to fill up I hear the sucking sound fron the seal. ...

bob

..are you sure that sucking sound isn't coming from your wallet?

did you pop off the interior panel, there is a plastic junction thing back there that has three+ hoses on it. maybe one of the hoses poped off or is loose.

so i went and fiddled with things last night and here's what i found in order of importance:

1. make sure the tabs keeping your gas cap haven't been bent down over the years and allow your gas cap to spin past the tightened position. it seems mine had done this and i hadn't even realized it. having spun off, there was deffinitely no pressure happening.

2. took the internal panel off. no rust and no dangling hoses. there was a little gas that seemed to have splashed on from the cap being loose.

i'll know in a minute when i go to work if it was really just the cap and will update here. feel kind of silly that i didn't realize it was spinning off - but whatever. it does seem from using the gas fillers that the tabs just get bent down over time. bummer is that i can't figure a way of prying them back out w/o taking the whole filler neck out.

i'll update later.

loeky said:
so i went and fiddled with things last night and here's what i found in order of importance:

1. make sure the tabs keeping your gas cap haven't been bent down over the years and allow your gas cap to spin past the tightened position. it seems mine had done this and i hadn't even realized it. having spun off, there was deffinitely no pressure happening.

2. took the internal panel off. no rust and no dangling hoses. there was a little gas that seemed to have splashed on from the cap being loose.

i'll know in a minute when i go to work if it was really just the cap and will update here. feel kind of silly that i didn't realize it was spinning off - but whatever. it does seem from using the gas fillers that the tabs just get bent down over time. bummer is that i can't figure a way of prying them back out w/o taking the whole filler neck out.

i'll update later.

Loeky-
That was my problem EXACTLY. To fix it for good, you'll probably need to replace the neck, like I did. It's only a 20-minute job, but you'll want to make sure your tank is just about empty. 1/4 tank is too much gas. I opted for a used filler neck from someone here parting out their truck. I figure if I get a couple more years out of it, I'm good.

Bruiser

phantom60 said:
..are you sure that sucking sound isn't coming from your wallet?

Ha! 12MPG baby, 12MPG.

It may not be fast, but at least it has lousy milage?? :(

bob

My gas cap is also bent from the constant fillups. But if I catch it right I'm OK. But maybe not??

bob

norville said:
My gas cap is also bent from the constant fillups. But if I catch it right I'm OK. But maybe not??

bob

Bob-
Mine was fine for at least 2 years. The PO had the problem, showed me how to line it all up, and it continued to work for a while. Mine eventually got so bad it wouldn't seal no matter how I had the cap on there. When my wife and I were starting to hallucinate from the constant fumes, I replaced it.

Bruiser

with the rest of the possibilities removed for the time being - a simple change of the gas cap has fixed the problem. i went out to the truck today and no smell in the cab at all. i took the cap off and whhoooosshhhh.. pressure escaping. which is a good thing and can only assume that i'll get another 2mpg due to this upgrade.

the only downside is that the locking gas cap i bought from ccot doesn't actually lock as there's nothing for the lock to lock into on the filler tube. kind of dumb, but i wasn't sure of the locking mechanism before purchase and i like the nice cast quality of it. we'll see how long it lasts...

thanks again to everyone for your thoughts. i'm still going to look for a filler neck to replace mine - but it's not an emergency as i can control it spinning off fairly easily.

yours doesnt have a lock on the gas door?

brett76 said:
yours doesnt have a lock on the gas door?

it does and i'm paranoid, that's all. it was the same price and i don't like the idea of people stealing gas when i park my vehicle. it's been done in the past at the lake and up on the ski slopes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom