Gas smell in 1F engine oil with no clear source (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All, I'm hoping someone has some insight into my problem.

1974 '40 with 1F, stock carb. Runs perfectly well once warmed up, though exhaust smells rich. I did the last carb rebuild myself last September. Last time I changed the oil two months ago, is smelled of gasoline. I though maybe it's because the engine was running rich, so got it as lean as I could (idle mixture screw out one turn), idles at ~ 800 rpm. No substantial vacuum leak as far as I can tell (hovers at 15-16 mm Hg. With hitting the throttle drops down to 3 back up to 24, and then settles back at 15-16).

I read somewhere that gas can get into the engine oil through a leaking fuel pump. I had installed mine around 14 years ago, so thought maybe it was time. I emptied the engine oil (barely 150 miles on it) to install a new fuel pump, and sure enough the oil smelled like gas and seemed pretty thin. when I took out the old pump and took it apart to inspect it, the diaphragm seemed perfectly fine. Still I installed the new one and filled up with 8 quarts of oil yesterday, and took her for a quick spin (2 miles at most). Today, I came to check the oil level, and it was above full (which is odd given that I filled with the usual 8 quarts) When I went to drain some oil out, the new oil smelled like gas and looked more brown that golden.

Throughout this, the carb holds gas well and the level stays at midlevel on the sight glass.

Is it possible the gas smell lingers on after an oil change, or is there some way I may be leaking gas into the engine oil without even driving.

Thank you for the reference to previous threads (... and for not including a snarky remark about doing a search!)
however, as far as I can tell from the posts, they point to either a leaking gas pump or a venturi dripping gas. Neither is the case for me, and that's why I'm asking!

Weak rings will let combustion into the crankcase!

Thanks... last compression test was two years ago (120/120/120/120/120/130), but maybe it's time to repeat it

My pleasure. I'm on here to learn an do what I can to help. There was a thread waay down by @65swb45 that talks about residual tank pressure causing issues. Perhaps after you shut your rig off, crack the gas cap and listen for pressure.

My pleasure. I'm on here to learn an do what I can to help. There was a thread waay down by @65swb45 that talks about residual tank pressure causing issues. Perhaps after you shut your rig off, crack the gas cap and listen for pressure.

funny you'd say that ... As i was disconnecting the fuel line to the gas pump, gas was spurting out under pressure like there was another pump upstream. That could be the problem!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom