1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gas Smell & Fuel Tank Leak

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Ducks, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Ducks

Ducks

Media:
    Albums:
    I recently got an FJ60. Intermittently I have had a gas smell. On Saturday, I filled up and then parked it on our driveway that has an incline. Noticed on Sunday that there was a leak spot on the ground under the rear PS corner. When I stuck my head up below the filler tube there was a stong gas smell. There wasn't a gas smell at the fuel cap area. Got in the 60 and there was a strong gas smell inside. It looked like there might be a leak from the quarter panel but I couldn't see any other leak. Getting the protective plate off didn't seem obvious. I guess there are some hoses and you can look at the filler tube through the quarter panel? So my two questions are:

1. How do you get the rear quarter panel off?

2. I know there was a fuel tank recall for the 62. Was there one for the 60 as well?

Cheers,
    Chad

2. ellington12

ellington12

3. Hank

Hank SILVER Star

Albums:
    You certainly don't have to remove your 1/4 panel. The filler neck could be the culprit mine leaks also and a new one is on order. Remove the screws you see when you open the filler door, get under the cruiser and remove the inspection panel directly inside the quarter panel. (midwest rust took care of this step for me) This panel faces the ground. Above that panel is where the filler neck attaches to the tank. There is a bit of interference with the frame rails but it can be remove with a tiny bit of effort. With a flashlight you should be able to see any leaks or wet spots. Mine only does it when I get close to overfilling it. Obviously don't remove with with the tank full and use caution with sparks blah blah blah, don't blow your self up.

4. archie

archie

I believe you want to remove the interior quarter panel off the cruiser. If that is the case, I think they are pop riveted into the wall. Just use a flat scraper to find connection points and pry open gently with other stiff scrapers or wide blade screwdrivers. Just use even pressure to prevent cracking the particle board/ masonite type of material.
    Some where in the one of the threads there is a link for the VIN of recall tanks. Try the advance search.
    Don't forget to check for rust just above the fuel tank at the harness. Mine leaked there.

5. ellington12

ellington12

i just realized that the links in my first post above don't work.

this link will take you to the NHSTA website main page. from here you can look up just about every recall for just about any vehicle.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

6. sandcrawler

sandcrawler

My filler neck went south (thanks Northeastern salt!) last summer and I replaced the rusted part with 2 inch flex hose from Napa ($50 vs the $300 for a OEM filler neck). I cut off the rusted part, used new hose clamps, and ran the new hose to the gas tank.

It's been great so far with absolutely no problems.

You do need to remove the inner panel, and getting the hose around the frame is tough. Also do it with your tank lamost empty and if you need to jack up the PS rear - that will keep the gas from leaking out.

7. soggy60

soggy60

First off, you do not need, at this time, to remove the screws inside the filler door (by the gas cap).

The interior trim panel (grey or brown with carpet) 'pops' into place with plastic pins; as someone else noted, (a spoon or fork works) pry the panel, it will pop off EXCEPT for the 4 inch part by the rear door, the vinyl goes under the door opening trim.....

Under your rig, thee's a protective panel (metal) 4 bolts, one in each corner. Loosen (don't need to remove) the 2 'behind' bumper ( metal panel has slot') remove 2 bolts in the front part. Panel comes off.

You'll see the bottom end of the metal filler tube, flex hose between it and the fuel tank. (you'll also see a bunch of rubber tubes - fuel tank emissions control)

Good chance flex hose from fill to tank is weeping; old hose or loose clamps.

( just replaced my filler tube last month....)

G'Luck
    pete

8. gumbydood

gumbydood

I got an intermittent gas smell inside my new 60, especially after a hard left turn. Pulled the interior panel and determined the smell was coming out of the vapor canister mounted inside the quarter panel. A previous owner had apparently tried to mount something through the panel and poked a hole in the evaporator thing. Applied a small amount of silicone to seal the hole and re-installed. No more stink!

Good luck
    G'dood

9. Ducks

Ducks

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for all the input. I took the inner panel off and the bottom protector plate off. From the bottom, it looks like I need to replace the gas fill hose, which looks fairly straight forward.

[​IMG]

10. Ducks

Ducks

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm not exactly sure what is going on on top though. When I took the panel off, there was a strong gas smell. It looks like gas had leaked in there.

[​IMG]

The gas cap usually seals completely but perhaps because of the bent lip it didn't? When I was on the outside I also noticed a little stain down the side. I didn't top it off but maybe it was too full and splashed past the fuel cap and then drained into the inside of the quarter panel? I cleaned out the inside and hopefully the smell goes away. I'm not sure where the smell is still coming from.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the input. If anyone has any thoughts, let me know.
    :beer: Chad

11. beatdown83fj60

beatdown83fj60

Holy crap! My truck is (was) the same color but faded, and mine leaks at the same spot, and has a bent lip just like that. I suspect that's what it is on mine. It also looks like there is a gasket there as well that is maybe there to hold out of the quarter panel. My rear panels got soaked in gas regularily for a little while and they'd smell like gas for a day or so, but the leaking fumes would regularily get vacuumed into the cab. I built new panels out of fiberboard and bedlined both sides of it, and screwed it down tight with sheet metal screws and it got rid of the smell atleast. Also cut out the exhaust fumes from my broken exhaust :rolleyes: . I'm going to try a new filler neck and new hoses w/ fresh clamps.

12. Ducks

Ducks

Media:
    Albums:
    I ordered a gas fill hose, a gas fill neck gasket, and a gas cap from CDan. I'll try and bend the lip back once I have everything apart. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

13. Ducks

Ducks

Media:
    Albums:
    Random Follow Up

Just as a follow up, I had to loosen the fill neck tube to get the hose off and on. This meant removing the two screws at the gas fill cap area and then there is one bolt that you get at through the inner quarter panel. I also replaced the gasket there at the top as well. Looks like the new gasket will keep any spilled gas from getting in to the interior.

I couldn't bend the lip back on the fill neck tube but the new gas cap fits very snug. I didn't think there was anything wrong with the old cap but the new one always seals well even with the bent lip. I haven't had any gas leaks since the fix. I guess I could replace the fill neck tube one day, but at ~$150 I think I'll spend my money elsewhere for the time being.

:beer: Chad

14. tucson_sailors

tucson_sailors

Media:
    Albums:
    Other reason for gas smell

Reply to a very old thread, but I just replaced the fuel pump on a 84 FJ60. PO had thought the carb was running rich, and didn't worry about it. Darn lucky it didn't catch fire as it looks like the diaphragm on the pump was leaking. Check that as well if you smell gas as another possibility

Glenn in Tucson