Gas smell, coolant leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gents - encountering my first mechanical/engine issue with my 40 and need some help getting started on troubleshooting. Feeling a little in over my head!

After putting a couple hundred miles on it, started to smell gas when parking after drive. Recently, my buddy mentioned he smelled fuel when following me.

Engine has been starting reliably from cold, drives well but I have begun to notice some “escalating” symptoms so I have stopped driving it.

I have seen white smoke from the exhaust twice, but not commonly and only when in a hard reverse move.

Started to experience dieseling on shutoff when it’s warm.

Heard a backfire last night and upon returning home smelled a very strong mix of fuel and what I think coolant - it stung my nostrils - when pulling in the garage.

Upon inspection, I notice some spray pattern around what I think is the charcoal canister, and fluid on the engine block that appears to come from where block and manifold meet.

Coolant overflow has fluid, but seems low.

I’m not very knowledgeable, so identifying the parts involved so I can work my way through it would be a huge help.

I did inspect the fluid on the block, and that seems to be a new. It is mostly odorless and is more watery than oily. Not enough to pool on garage floor.

Attaching a few pics. If you can help by calling out engine parts and suggesting troubleshooting order that’d be a huge help to me. Thanks guys!

FEB4E875-AC28-4E9C-9E0A-D574BD2D8804.jpeg

6634D728-BD62-48F1-A2E9-2C83944BD335.jpeg

9B50CED1-121D-48D6-B99D-808092A52604.jpeg

61B6199A-B71A-47F0-A647-05A3F373FCF3.jpeg

261DA45F-04D4-4C92-8470-FE020F018114.jpeg

I should also probably mention that a while back, on start the exhaust expelled some “gunk” with choke fully open. Closing it halfway stopped that and it seemed to operate normally.

Welcome to old vehicles! Look into new plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, points, valve adjustment etc. I would monitor your coolant and oil levels, appearance and smell. Run some snake oil (sea foam etc.) fuel additive to clean the carb and drive it. Look for leaks around fuel lines, fuel pump, intake manifold and vacuum lines etc. Basically, keep driving it, and observe. As you get more details on the problems, come back and get details on repairs. Diagnosis is the hardest part.

Thanks for the tips. I was primarily concerned about risking damage. As long as I have coolant in reservoir and no major noises or smoke seem safe to drive?

I’ll add some coolant and run sea foam through it today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom