Gas Seeping (Spewing) Out From Fuel Filler Neck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mot

Threads
So, I've found out that my 60 ('87) spews gas when it is even somewhat close to full, both inside (from the filler neck, and collects at the bottom of the rear quarter panel) and outside (from the filler mouth, even with the cap on, runs down the quarter panel on the outside, to the ground). :eek:

Every time it happens I wish I would have put bigger premium on my life insurance and hope that I am not being too staticky(sp) as to not blow both of us to kingdom come.

So far I've been successful in absorbing the gas with shop (paper) towels and put them in plastic sacks (double bagged).

I don't top it off and this last time I even drove it enough so it should have consumed a few gallons of gas, at least, but it still happened.

I'll try to attach some pics from my phone later, but I was wondering what I have here and what I might have to do so I won't feel like I'm playing the Russian Roulette every time I feel like taking the 60 for a spin or when I'm picking up my kids from school.

Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

BTW, the truck has had its fuel tank recall work done about 10 years ago, fwiw.

Thank you guys!!

Mot

old hoses and gas cap seals.

Fuel expands considerably when it heats up. Replace the rubber parts and make sure that none of hte emissions hoses are plugged.

Here are the pics I took from the last time.

ForumRunner_20130409_114341.jpg

ForumRunner_20130409_114429.jpg

ForumRunner_20130409_114453.jpg

Anyone???

ForumRunner_20130409_114341.jpg

ForumRunner_20130409_114429.jpg

ForumRunner_20130409_114453.jpg

old hoses and gas cap seals.

Fuel expands considerably when it heats up. Replace the rubber parts and make sure that none of hte emissions hoses are plugged.

Thanks, Mace!

Rubber parts from the filler neck to the tank and then also to the engine/fuel filter?

I'm also not sure if the charcoal canister is functional or not (Do not have an air compressor to test it with), because I get the "smell" in cabin also.

But I'm guessing even a plugged up CC would not cause fuel backage.

Thanks again!

plugged CC will contribute to your issues.

plugged CC will contribute to your issues.

Dammit!!

I guess the first order of business is to find out whether it's clogged or not.

I guess even if it's not, I'm sure it's never been replaced, so I would like to look into replacing it, along with the other pieces that you have mentioned.

This gets funner (more fun) all the time! :rolleyes:

Thanks again, Mace!

Mot

Charcoal canister. I think I blew mine out with a bicycle pump when I didn't have a compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Charcoal canister. I think I blew mine out with a bicycle pump when I didn't have a compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Thanks, Seth!

I can't recall which one I need to blow into (I seem to recall there was a certain pressure also, but the bike pump probably would not exceed that).

I'll give it a whirl and report back. :cheers:

Had the exact same issue , no vent on gas tank, if it does it again, go under the hood and pop the line off the CC, should be under pressure + bad charcoal canister, somewhere someone on this site has posted an exact replacement for like $45, my old cruiser would pee it out the frame rail out of the bottom of the CC.

I swear I searched about a month ago, but am not sure if I found the definitive parts info on the replacement (I'll try again).

I remember swapping the lines and it seemed like it made it worse. Maybe the PO had done it already and I just reversed it. So I reversed them back. Is that too many swapping/reversing? LOL!!

I'll find the info on which line to blow and see what happens, a the bike pump.

Thanks again!

Are the cc nipples connected ton the right tubes?

How the first one is connected:

ForumRunner_20130409_161238.jpg

Numero Dos:

ForumRunner_20130409_161253.jpg

And the other one oozing a little:

ForumRunner_20130409_161308.jpg

Anyway, I removed both tubes and pressed the bike pump tight and blew some air in the first(pic: closer to the front bumper)

Air came out of the other hole/nipple.

However, when I blew in the same with the second hole/nipple nothing happened(That's what she said, lolz!)

What does this mean?

Or is this irrelevant, unless I can apply the exact pressure recommended by Toyota?

Thoughts???

ForumRunner_20130409_161238.jpg

ForumRunner_20130409_161253.jpg

ForumRunner_20130409_161308.jpg

Mot, switch the two hoses around on the top of the canister and problem solved (probably).

There's a one-way valve (check valve) on the tank side, sometimes it gets stuck, corroded, full of gunk. Switching the hoses bypasses it and saves your tank and filler.

The other thing you can do is replace your gas cap with a vented one. Toyota Part # 77310-60090

deb5006475f263fa3b5aa56cbd991d05.image.611x550.JPG

Mot, switch the two hoses around on the top of the canister and problem solved (probably).

There's a one-way valve (check valve) on the tank side, sometimes it gets stuck, corroded, full of gunk. Switching the hoses bypasses it and saves your tank and filler.

The other thing you can do is replace your gas cap with a vented one. Toyota Part # 77310-60090

deb5006475f263fa3b5aa56cbd991d05.image.611x550.JPG

So, the orientation I have in the pics is "correct" (factory), but I should swap them so this fuel puking issue might get solved? (I've read that somewhere also).

I will also order the fuel cap from CDan the next chance I get.

Thanks a bunch!!

Mot

Can't tell from the pic how yours is set up, but one canister port is labeled "TANK" and the other is "VENT" (don't remember if it says exactly, vent, or something like that).

Factory routing is the evap line that goes back to the gas tank is connected to the canister port labeled "TANK"

Put that line on the other port so the tank will vent to atmosphere. Yes, it will prevent the vapor pressure from building in the gas tank - that's what is causing the overflow. It's even worse now with the new formulations of gasoline that have a higher vapor pressure.

I'll take a closer look at it and see how they're routed right now(I had played around with it a couple of times before today).

I think the PO lurked on Mud, so there's a chance he might have already re-routed them and I only got them back to the factory/undesirable orientations.

Thanks again! (Sounds like a broken record/CD now. :doh:)

Mot

So here's how they're labeled:

ForumRunner_20130409_180848.jpg

ForumRunner_20130409_180859.jpg

And as of now the "To Tank" nipple is connected to the hose the goes toward the firewall and then behind the air cleaner/driver's side, while the other nipple is connected to the hose that goes lower to the frame.

So, being dense I need to ask....

Do I need to swap the hoses or have they already been swapped to the better(non-factory) orientations???

ForumRunner_20130409_180848.jpg

ForumRunner_20130409_180859.jpg

attachment.php

If this pic is the way it's hooked up, the tank line is hooked to the "Purge" port. That's how you want it.

It's possible the whole canister is plugged. You can just leave that tank line off the canister a bit and see what happens at the fill tube.

Hard line to tank could be plugged, too. I had to spray carb cleaner in mine, let is soak a bit, then blow it out.

attachment.php

If this pic is the way it's hooked up, the tank line is hooked to the "Purge" port. That's how you want it.

It's possible the whole canister is plugged. You can just leave that tank line off the canister a bit and see what happens at the fill tube.

Hard line to tank could be plugged, too. I had to spray carb cleaner in mine, let is soak a bit, then blow it out.

Thanks Spike Strip!

I'll try some of these things and see what happens.

But I should probably look into what my options are as far as a replacement canister goes, and replace all the rubbery pieces in the process and report back.

Thanks again!!

Mot

Any luck?

I haven't gotten around to it, yet!

It's 1/2 tank now and of course it's been quiet.

I'll start with the fuel cap and look into the best way to replace the charcoal canister.

I'll report back when I make progress.

Thanks!

Mot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom