Gas pump help!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys need help. I have replaced my gas pump twice now and both times the pump has snapped. I don't know if I am putting it back in wrong or what. If anyone has done a pump change please describe the way to do it on this engine, because I am so lost as to what's happening

I am assuming you are referring to the fuel pump?

If so, are you installing the black plastic spacer plate between the fuel pump and the block? Should be approximately 1/4" in thickness and there is a gasket that also needs to be installed.

Yes fuel pump my bad late night. Ight I don't think I have a black plastic spacer plate.... Where would I go about getting one? Also it's not like a Chevy where you have a pulley to maneuver on it at all right? It's basic straight bolt up?

Yes fuel pump my bad late night. Ight I don't think I have a black plastic spacer plate.... Where would I go about getting one? Also it's not like a Chevy where you have a pulley to maneuver on it at all right? It's basic straight bolt up?

Should be able to get the spacer at the same Auto Parts store you bought all your fuel pumps at...the fuel pump should come with two gaskets (one for each side of the spacer).

Which Auto Parts store do you buy your fuel pump(s) from? Can you check online and see if they carry the spacer, too? If not...Toyota!

Also, double check the engine block with the pump you have on there currently and see if there is or isn't a spacer on it.

X2 what these guys have said.

Pretty sure the part is called a fuel pump "insulator."

I've always just undone the two bolts. Removed the pump. Bolted the new one on. That's it. Easy stuff.

The real question here would be... Do all 2F blocks in an FJ60 need the insulator?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/84-fj60-landcruiser-will-crank-but-will-not-start-while-hot.266749/

Without the insulator, the pump arm is too tight against the cam lobe and it will break.

fuel-pump-03-jpg.297159

Well that is something I didn't know. I thought there was a year difference. Maybe that's just the parts box way of telling you not to forget it.

There is a difference over the production run of 2Fs, but the question pertained to FJ60s. Some early 2F in 40s do not use the insulator, but that may be because of the different style fuel pump, more than a change in the block. Dunno, that... Beno?

There is a difference over the production run of 2Fs, but the question pertained to FJ60s. Some early 2F in 40s do not use the insulator, but that may be because of the different style fuel pump, more than a change in the block. Dunno, that... Beno?

Correct. My comments are only for FJ60 2F's. For the sake of this conversation, the other 2F's don't count.

ight guys thanks for the info. I will be looking out for the insulator and pump on my next order. Then need to clean my carb. out again. other somewhat related issue.

my rule of thumb is if the fuel pump has 3 hose connections it needs the insulator, if the pump has 2 hose connections it does not require an insulator.
AFAIK any fuel pump from the mid 60's up to 87 will bolt to any block. there was no change in the mount area for F and 2F blocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom