Gas Prices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Holy crap!!What can we do about this blatent consumer gouging?There's been talk about boycotting in mass, one oil company.Would this work?Maybe, if ALOT of people did it.At the very least it would get the message across. ESSO has posted a quarter of a Billion dollar profit for the first quarter of this year,Up 31% from last year.I propose that they have gotten two much of our money and so we boycott them.We can't stop driving,there's lots of other gas companys out there.Boycotting ESSO,who has posted the largest profits out of them all should hear the message the loudest if thier profit margin is knocked down to one of the lowest.

Loving my diesel @ $1.02 per liter

How much was your Diesel last year, and how much do you think it will be come summer?Also how much is it in Ontario?

I tried to get a boycott going a couple of years ago and nobody seemed interested. Yes, we are being gouged deeply by greedy oil companies and the general dumbed-down public is totally whipped. I don't drive much these days, I ride my bicycle most of the time. Today I got soaking wet but I don't care, those bast***s are not getting much of my money. Diesel owners: its time to make bio fuel.

I am with the boycott. I also am with the idea of getting a tank on a trailer and buying farm fuel. I say screw the rich bastards and I hope they choke on their money. Bio fuel is nice but I don't have a couple of things needed for it: time and space. Also on trips you need to bring a lot of it or go back to using the pumps. In my case I don't have the option of not driving, if I were to haul my 3 tool boxes, ladders and other supplies on the bus I would never get anywhere. I think we should organize a full boycott of atleast 1 company if not more.
As it stands I still rather drive for 30 minutes to outside the lower mainland and pay .96 - .98 a liter. Fill the jerry cans and it last a bit longer.
Farm fuel is looking tempting, I don't care how much a tank would cost as long as the greedy dogs don't get that extra couple of bucks out of me.

For all those going to Big Bar, my dad just got back from Princeton and this is what the gas looked like:

Coquitlam 126
Silverdale 117
Mission 112
Deroche 107
Hope 120

So it may pay to take the back way (Lougheed Hwy) to Hope and fill up in Deroche. I also read in the Province yesterday that the lowest price in BC was Boston Bar at 107.

I'm doing my gas cans in Deroche.

The trouble with trying to make bio diesel is that its smelly and if you live in the city then your neighbours or landlord would find it objectionable. I am wondering if there now exists some small off the shelf bio diesel unit that would run unnoticed in the garage without stinking to high heaven, making small quantities continuously.
As for a boycott, sure, lets organize a local boycott against Imperial Esso, spread the word around, and see if anything comes of it.

Fellow Cruiserheads:
I think the time is coming that we have to face up to the fact that fuel and operating costs are spiraling up and the era of unlimited recreational driving is winding down. I only drive my Cruiser now from May to November and/or when I go out wheeling with club members. The rest of the time the Cruiser sits in the garage and I bike it or occasionally drive my wife's beater. Driving to work every day in a Cruiser is simply too expensive, unless you're filthy rich or own an oil company. Mat: get yourself an old 4 banger Toyota pickup to haul your tools and equipment.
We should also realize that fringe members to all these clubs (4X4ABC, TLCA, Coastal Cruisers, etc.) will drop away because the whole effort and expense becomes too much to deal with. Economics and family pressures will trump wheeling. Of course, hard core wheelers will continue and opt to pay more and more, but the writing is on the wall for the rest. Discretionary income will continue shrinking as costs of home heating, hydro, telecommunications, food, property taxes, the coming green taxes (yes, governments everywhere are smacking their lips drooling over the limitless area of green taxes), and all the other hands in our pockets keep digging deeper and grabbing us by the short hairs. The big gas hog SUVs are going the way of the doodoo bird and tyranisaurus rex. Try to sell a Ford Explorer now and they think you're a comedian. This is why we have to seriously look into biodiesel to keep going. Amen.

I am hoping to fill with diesel this weekend for $0.835.

Bill, Your making it sound like the world is ending. I think you are doing the right thing about biking around, I know I walk or bike when I can too.

This hands in your pocket thing has been going on for ever, everyone should just suck it up and deal with it. Yes I too am struggling to make ends meet, but I'm not going to stop wheeling.

One thing I can suggest about keeping gas prices lower is signing up with a cardlock. I don't know if they allow cars in the lowermainland cardlocks, but I am a member of the UFA cardlocks, and even though gas and diesel prices are some of the highest in Canada here in Fort St. John, I only pay between 86 and 96 cents a liter(I think diesel at normal pumps in FSJ is around 117 for the past year or so, but I don't check too often). Bit of a hassle, having to only fill up at one station, and paying one bill at the end of the month, but is saving me money.
Cheers,
Deny

Yah I do the same in Smithers. I use the cardlock and get a decent discount. I pay between 88 and 96 cents a litre for diesel. not too bad...

As things increase in prices, the last thing to get raised is our pay. But that does come up too. It's just bigger numbers we have to get used to.....such is life.

I like driving my 60, but hardly call it a big suv. Look at the new fn suburban....jeeze.

I am going to set up a veg oil system on my BJ sometime this summer. I will still buy at pumps but I want a backup.

i didn't know esso was doing so well. i have to admit i've been filling up at their gas stations since '01. i think it's about time i use my esso extra points, get a free tank of gas and move on.

Well, I don't think the world is ending Deny, but I do think the favoured lifestyle we have been living with unbridled consumerism is drawing to a close. For the last 50 years North America has had a standard of living unparalled in world history. Sadly for us, this is now changing. Wealth, manufacturing, technology, and rising standards of living are shifting to Asia, and due to the fact most North Americans have been living on credit and beyond their means for some time, it suggests to me that we are about to hit an economic wall in the near future. Inflation is gaining momentum and we are increasingly finding that we can no longer afford the lifestyle we once enjoyed. For an increasing number of people here, buying a house is no longer an option. Flying to Europe and enjoying a vacation over there is way too expensive for us now. A new Heavy Duty Landcruiser is around $100,000. Canadian for the 100 model; I don't know anybody who has that kind of money. Most couples have to both work and can't find enough time to raise their children. I costs me around $100. to fill my fuel tank of 90 litres. The only bright spot I can think of now is that Canadian exports are in high demand around the world and that creates jobs. Yes some Albertans are making good money in the oil patch, but many more here are working at McJobs paying $7 - $9 an hour and you can't live in any style on that. Maybe some people don't want to hear this kind of talk, but its reality.

Last edited:
I hate to break it to all those in the Lower Mainland but on our drive to Central America the highest diesel prices were in B.C.! In Mexico we paid $5.62/liter (that's pesos NOT dollars and the exchange is about 10 - 1). Here in Guatemala it's Q20.65/US gallon (that's under $3 US per gallon). In B.C. it was pushing $4/US gallon (I think 0.98/liter or so when we left).
We'll see what it's like further south later this summer.

I'm a doom and gloom kinda guy but I don't agree fully with what your saying.

I don't see any big changes about too happen in the near future.

In many aspects I would love to see oil run out and gas to go to 4 dollars a litre, anything to drive technology to using different sources of energy. I see the oil patch as an environmental disaster.

Economies are always changing. And more people are buying houses everyday than every before. Not less.

Move outside lower mainland and home actually become more affordable.

Yah I can't buy a house down there where I need to be. I work at airports and working at YVR means I have to commute too far away.

Vancouver is not a good gauge to how the economy is changing. Immigration from outside Canada and migration from with in have dramatically altered the house buying scene there. No body pays more than you guys for home in Canada.

My house in Smithers is a fraction of the price of a home down there. Yet my salary is exactly the same as if I worked there............................

I support a family(single income) with a normal wage. Could I do that in Van, no bloody way.

Can I afford fuel at double the price, yup.

A new "real" Landcruiser is around $100,000. Canadian; I don't know anybody who has that kind of money.

Bill I was talking to a guy who has a 2007 HDJ70? (it's the new '70 series with the 6 cylinder turbo-diesel, lockers, 5 speed and winch). He had paid Q265,000 for it new 2 months ago. That works out to $38,500 Canadian!! If only we could get those (or in my case bring it back) in Canada. You can see a picture I posted of it in the "Chat" forum on Sunday.

I aggree with everything you say, bb, but how do you see the oil patch as an environmental disaster, it is no different than mining, or forestry, or even dare I say urban sprawl. everything we do impacts the environment. We can't point our fingers at one industry and say it's bad, cause that's just unfair.
Cheers,
Deny

Cruiser_Guy: I was thinking of the 100 Series at that price. I would like to see that picture of the new 70 Series, can you give me a link? Gas prices in B.C. now are around $1.23 a litre which is about $5.00 a gallon. A lot of that is tax; the governments are making a windfall out of the oil company greed.
Brown Bear: I worked at YVR for a while and it was not a living wage. As for homes here, a lot of people in Van have been buying condos because even an old house is out of reach. The reason many have bought is because mortgage interest rates have been supressed for the last 5 years to keep the Canadian economy going. Things are booming here in the West because of resource extraction but the ecomomy back in Ontario is sick. If and when interest rates go up, many at the bottom of the housing pyramid will be shook out here. Also, if gas prices keep going up here, many who bought in Maple Ridge may have trouble commuting to Van. I guess they will have to car pool and pay tolls on the new bridges. A lot of the Canadian wealth has been created by the Americans buying our exports. The American dollar is very very sick and when it crashes we will be in for a hard dose of reality.
Deny: the oil patch, esp the tar sands, drains pollution north into the lakes and McKenzie River system and nothing good is going to come out of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom