Gas Pedal STILL sticking! Some pics, anything look outta whack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
So far 3 seperate shops have attempted to solve my problem of the gas pedal sticking at full throttle, intermittenly. First the motor mounts were changed, the all the linkage was removed, cleaned and re-greased. The last attempt was at the "Cruiser Shop" He found a piece of the linkage that was "bent", but the problem is still there. When the pedal is stuck, all you need to do is tap it and it will release. Here are some pics, does anything look out of whack?

Thanks,
Zack
gas 1.jpg
gas 2.jpg
gas 3.jpg

Have you investigated the possibility that it's not a problem in the linkage, but the throttle itself that is sticking for some reason?

I mean maybe the sticking point is not a problem in the linkage, but the throttle itself (ie, in the carburetor) that is sticking open and holding the accelerator down with it.

That could be an issue, however the carb was replaced two years ago with a new OEM part.

Zack

That could be an issue, however the carb was replaced two years ago with a new OEM part.

I agree it seems unlikely, but something is sticking somewhere.

It does seem unlikely, but how much work would it be to pull the cable and test each part independently (I know zip about the 60-series)? This would isolate the issue. How expensive/difficult is it to replace the throttle cable itself? It could be catching in the casing.

It does seem unlikely, but how much work would it be to pull the cable and test each part independently (I know zip about the 60-series)? This would isolate the issue. How expensive/difficult is it to replace the throttle cable itself? It could be catching in the casing.

I has no cable at all, it is just all linkage.

Zack

i like landcrusher's idea...perhaps the butterfly inside the carb is what's sticking. sounds like you've checked everything outside of the carb so i'd turn my attention to the inside of the carb.

2 years is enough time for the innards of the carb to get carboned up. perhaps it only sticks at full throttle since you generally don't spend much time there. what i'm trying to say and am taking a rather roundabout way of saying it is pull the air cleaner and clean the carb throats and butterflies with carb cleaner. if you can, disconnect the accelerator pedal linkage and then operate the carb butterfly by hand, feeling for any tight spots or spots where you feel resistance. pay particular attention with the carb at WOT. don't forget the secondary throat and butterfly as well.

Ok, round two, or three is it?

Do this and it will be fixed:
(I posted this in the last thread about your carb)

I am beginning to think that the only true answer to this problem is to replace the linkage. Over time flat spots wear on the balls and the pedal just gets sloppy in general and goes through these sticking phases.

HOWEVER, Toyota added a little dohicy to the accelerator pumps used on the 3F carbs.
They put a spring that ran vertically from a small hole drilled in accelerator pump arm directly above the carb body bolt on that corner. There is a little bracket that angles up and holds the choke cable that is held in by the aforementioned bolt. They put a little tab on the back of that and ran the spring between the two. In typical Toyota fashion, that spring is the very same one that is used as the vertical spring on the throttle linkage (IIRC).

You can drill a small hole in your choke bracket (some late models actually already have a hole there) and a small hole in your accelerator pump arm and run a spare (or new) throttle spring between the two.

This effectively puts spring pressure right on the pump arm and in my cases has eradicated the sticking problem. IN ADDITION throttle response becomes MUCH less twitchy, especially off road, and acceleration is noticeably smoother.

This has been my little secret, but I figured I would share. If I am feeling extra nice tomorrow, I might snap a pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom