1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gas odors in cab

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Murp, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Murp

Murp

88 fj62 - I get intermittent gasoline odors inside ny cruiser - pretty strong. Put on new gas cap, as old one seemed loose. Didn't fix it. Don't smell any odors from engine compartment. Odor seems to be coming from the rear. Haven't found any leaks. Gas tank was replaced through a recall many years ago. Anyone know what the problem is?

Thank's

2. Gidget

Gidget

I have the same problem on my '96. I just park it outside. Check the archives. I read something about this problems, but have not had a chance to work on my truck.

3. swank60

swank60

from what I've been told, you should check your carbon canister. It's supposed to be a common problem and not that big of a deal.

4. CardinalFJ60

CardinalFJ60

had a similar problem in my 60...Go to the rear panel on the pass. side (assuming LHD), near the fuel filler neck and pop it off. you should see a "breather box" or something like that with several hoses coming in and out of it. Check for rust, leaks, cracked hoses, etc. My problem was that one of the connectors was totally rusted and was leaking raw fuel into my inside wheel-well.

HTH

CardinalFJ60

5. fj40crusher

fj40crusher

[quote author=CardinalFJ60 link=board=1;threadid=7556;start=msg66279#msg66279 date=1069450187]
    had a similar problem in my 60...Go to the rear panel on the pass. side (assuming LHD), near the fuel filler neck and pop it off. you should see a "breather box" or something like that with several hoses coming in and out of it. Check for rust, leaks, cracked hoses, etc. My problem was that one of the connectors was totally rusted and was leaking raw fuel into my inside wheel-well.

HTH

CardinalFJ60
    [/quote]

This is usually the cause. It's always a good starting place.

6. gater75

gater75

I sometimes get this in my 40 after I fill it up all the way, especially if I go wheelingh afterwards. I try to leave it a few gallons shy of full.

7. hammerhead

hammerhead

I get the gassy smells after eating mexican food. Just leave a window down for a few miles and it will go away. 8)

8. gater75

gater75

Those gassy smells, usually come with the kids, or after a bud light night.