gas odor from cap area on LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've noticed on many occasions while washing my truck - a strong gas smell around fuel door on body of vehicle. Seems stronger when it's hot outside. I've checked underneath tank and all looks fine. Is it possible that the gas cap itself has a sealing problem? perhaps needing to be replaced. Anybody else notice this on their trucks?? - thanx - Tim

Hi had the same problem...bought a new gas cap with a good seal and the problem went away....
cheers,
David...

Time for a new cap, 77310-35080.

D-

so you're telling us your truck has gas?

I noticed just after I filled up if I parked on my driveway with a steep incline that a few drops would spill out (Not through the cap) and it would smell like gas. I figured out the incline and it being full let some gas get above the top of the filler nozle and it would drip ot some overflow tube thats there.

Someone let me know if this makes sense. There is a circle just inside the cap area and it was dripping from inside the fender.

Hasen't happened on any other ocassion

Mine was leaking on a semi-full tank when driving on steep fire roads. I noticed the smell several times, but couldn't identify the source (exept to confirm it wasn't coming from the engine compartment :eek: ).

I clued in when I saw the gas residue on the paint below the filler door :doh:

I've since replaced the cap - thanks CDan - and haven't had any smells since. :)

Curiously, it has passed PRK smog testing less than 6 weeks earlier :confused:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom