gas odor from cap area on LX450

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by the magnetguy, Jul 13, 2005.

1. the magnetguy

the magnetguy

I've noticed on many occasions while washing my truck - a strong gas smell around fuel door on body of vehicle. Seems stronger when it's hot outside. I've checked underneath tank and all looks fine. Is it possible that the gas cap itself has a sealing problem? perhaps needing to be replaced. Anybody else notice this on their trucks?? - thanx - Tim

2. silvercruiser

silvercruiser

Hi had the same problem...bought a new gas cap with a good seal and the problem went away....
    cheers,
    David...

3. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    Time for a new cap, 77310-35080.

D-

4. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

so you're telling us your truck has gas?

5. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

I noticed just after I filled up if I parked on my driveway with a steep incline that a few drops would spill out (Not through the cap) and it would smell like gas. I figured out the incline and it being full let some gas get above the top of the filler nozle and it would drip ot some overflow tube thats there.

Someone let me know if this makes sense. There is a circle just inside the cap area and it was dripping from inside the fender.

Hasen't happened on any other ocassion

6. Hants

Hants

Mine was leaking on a semi-full tank when driving on steep fire roads. I noticed the smell several times, but couldn't identify the source (exept to confirm it wasn't coming from the engine compartment :eek: ).

I clued in when I saw the gas residue on the paint below the filler door :doh:

I've since replaced the cap - thanks CDan - and haven't had any smells since. :)

Curiously, it has passed PRK smog testing less than 6 weeks earlier :confused:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.