gas octane ok to use 87? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2005 LC 100, I've always used 91, but with gas prices this high, I'm thinking of switching to 87. I always go to a Sam's Club close to my house so I can only choose between 91 or 87.
Does it really affect engine performance or/or cause damage over time?

87 is all my '04 gets... now going on close to 5 years... no difference when I pump higher octane. But I don't have expensive diagnostics to check

I personally think todays motors have enough anti-knock sensors and preventive firmware loaded to keep you safe...if heavy towing in hot weather and you hear some knock then yeah i would worry but just around town I wouldnt. I mix mine up...tankd of Premium then two tanks of Regular...then one of Midgrade then back to Premium. No worries...you just dont get full performance from your vehicle...

I would rather put Chevron 87 in than Sams 91! Most off brand gas cheap out on the additive packages that keep your injectors happy.

There have been a number of posts debating 87/89/92. Some claim there is improved MPG with the 92 which offsets the higher cost. Others claim no benefit. Others like me split the difference with 89.

If you pulling a load (either heavy gear or a trailer) and you're in a hot climate at a lower elevation then I would suggest higher octane.

I would rather put Chevron 87 in than Sams 91! Most off brand gas cheap out on the additive packages that keep your injectors happy..

agree. the discount gas is discount for a reason.:idea:

To add to what OregonLC posted: Normally aspirated engine octane use depends on the elevation you drive; something not covered in the operator's manual. Generally higher elevation (not sure of the threshold except to add I run 87 in my '99 without issue at 5,000' and up with occasional trips with the same octane fuel at sea level...without issue) use with higher octane will result in zero benefit...other than the additional profit taken by the fuel carrier ;)

I've been running my '01 through premium to get numbers as far as what is cheaper. On my next fill, I'll switch to regular octane for 5 or 10 tanks and see where I end up. I have a spreadsheet up on Google you can check out if you want. Bear in mind, I'm using 14.53 as my mpg for regular as it stands however that number will more than likely change so the outcome is not 100% at the moment. It basically breaks down to about $0.26 to $0.27 per mile in my case.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...Xk2eVR2Y0lmYjRhdzJBOUE&hl=en&authkey=CJjSmucF

Tripper

man, I must need a tune up... I'm only getting 12mpg. Even on the highway.

I run 87 octane at 4,200' MSL, I get 11-12 MPG City, 13-15 Highway. Premium does not seem to have any effect even after running multiple tanks. I've never run regular so I can't comment.

Or some new O2 sensors. I believe others (Fuzz?) have documented a precipitous drop in mileage as the sensors approach end-of-life.

Or some new O2 sensors. I believe others (Fuzz?) have documented a precipitous drop in mileage as the sensors approach end-of-life.

ya maybe so. I just replaced one of the four after a CEL. replacing all of them won't be a cheap fix :frown:

/end hijack

ya maybe so. I just replaced one of the four after a CEL. replacing all of them won't be a cheap fix :frown:

/end hijack

typically don't need to replace the rear ones, just the upper two right at the manifold.

Upstream or above the cats. Pull the plastic skirt on the inside of the fender for easier access.

The things a dog on 87 compared to 91. Timing changes to prevent knock. Takes about 25-miles after the change for the ECM to adjust.

I have had my LX for just about a year now. without a doubt the finest vehicle i have ever owned. Not the best engine as the award goes to my 3 Dodge Cummins pickups. Any way, i have been running 89 octane for almost a year. I noticed a "slight" performance decrease over 91. I got to thinking about it and realized that the .10 diff in costs is overcome by the fact that i need to only get about 7-8 miles more from a tankful to cover the additional costs. I get usually around 15 mpg in rural/city driving. This is down almost 1 mpg from my heavy tire combo (83lbs load range E 285/70/17 BFGs' ) over the stock michelins. I recently switched back to 91 octane and can feel a little better performance and 10 miles more from a tank of gas. And my baby feels better to me. I will never use anything less than 91 as it doesn't pay.

Cheers to all for a great year:cheers:

And a great bunch of guys as well......

TLC Dan

Actually Shotts only the 2001 (right one in the picture) was noisey. The middle one (1989 ist gen) was a pure diesel sound and not very loud. Rode like a dump truck until i worked on the suspension however. The 2003 (the one on the left) was very quiet compared to the 2001 and a pleasure to drive with the windows down. I had it dyno'd at 412 BHP and 889 FT lbs of torque at the rear wheels @44lbs of boost and i beat several corvettes from 60-100mph. It was a 6 spd manual and not as fast getting off the line as the tranny was not designed for quick shifting. It was a great truck but was bound to get me into trouble and with a 16 YO starting to drive i didn't want him to deal with the temptation.

I would love to have the diesel option w/ 5 sp manual in my LX470.

TLC Dan
000_0024.JPG

Those new Ford diesels sure are quiet. I was amazed. I don't remember if the new RAM has quieted down...has it? The last gen was LOUD. [:>) I roll up my windows at lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom