gas octane ok to use 87? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The new fords are quiet but only get 13 MPG. (my neighbor dumped $54k on one:rolleyes:) My 03 delivered a best 21.49 mpg @62 mph. It got 18 MPG around town and @75 mph on the highway. All with 35 in tires. The dodges since 2003 are quiet(stock) They have gotten quieter lately. A lot of guys strait pipe them and you hope to have two layers of windows to roll up:crybaby:.

TLC Dan

Straight-pipe petrols are ear-busters too! But of course they are more strictly controlled, and therefore illegal to run this way.

Modern European and Japanese diesels are no louder or stinkier than any gasser. In many cases less so. And you can usually run at least a 5% biodiesel mix in them without busting the factory warranty, saving both money and the environment! ;)

edit: Oh yeah, and to the actual point of this thread, I have run numerous experiments since buying this truck new in 2004, over dozens and dozens of tankfuls, and I consistently get better mileage and power running 91 versus 87 (which makes sense). The kicker is that the mileage difference is enough that it is actually cheaper cost dollar/mile to run premium. So, win-win as far as I'm concerned. Of course, I am primarily at sea level, so YMMV (literally).

Last edited:
I have run 89 through mine for 1.5 years. I bought it with 138K and I had no idea what the previous owner ran through it. Never given me any problems. Can't speak to the gas mileage though as I have never run anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom