Gas Mileage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought an 86 FJ60 and was wondering what the gas mileage is for a totally stock 60? I know its not great, but I want to get a reference point to work form.
Thanks, Bryan

Window sticker says 11 city, 13 highway, but you'll find a HUGE range among all the folks on here. I just checked mine this a.m. and I got 12mpg mixed city/highway. I'm also in Chicago, so our city driving is more like crawling with a stop light or stop sign every 100 feet. :frown:

Toadhopper said:
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought an 86 FJ60 and was wondering what the gas mileage is for a totally stock 60? I know its not great, but I want to get a reference point to work form.
Thanks, Bryan
Thanks, I'll start keeping track to see if I'm in the ball park.
Bryan

Bryan,

I just bought a FJ62 (I know different engine) and have had 2 tanks of highway driving and got 16.5 mpg. One tank of mixed city and highway and got 13mpg. I am now part way through my first city only tank and it s not looking good -- I hope it is above 10mpg.

Gotta figure for tire size, too. Not that I know how, mind you.

I run 31" tires and my last road trip yielded 14.5 MPG :eek: I can't remember what the percentage is in the speed difference though - maybe 15-17%? I do know that when I show 65mph on the speedometer, the real speed is about 69-70.

FJ62-11MPG in small town driving, with hills. 16-17 MPG on ALCAN highway. :)

13 mpg on 31 x 10.5 (that actually measure almost 30)

Hmmm ...

Recent highway road trip ... 15.5 mpg

... with 31x10.5 tires(Goodyear MTR), Wilderness roof rack, kayak on top, running 65 mph on the odometer, and using 6% adjustment for 31" tires over stock.

City ... 10-12 mpg

Cahil

Expect 8 mpg if your rig is in a bad state of tune. On the other hand you could see 15 mpg if it's tuned properly. Even crawling in Chi town you should see 10-11 mpg.

34x12.5 M/T tires, 4.88s, 88 FJ62 with 168k on the clock and a GPS measured 11.8 mpg

I got a little over 25mpg when I bought my truck and drove her from Jackson Hole WY to Seattle.

I hope for the same after the restoration.

HZJ60 Guy said:
I got a little over 25mpg when I bought my truck and drove her from Jackson Hole WY to Seattle.

I hope for the same after the restoration.

You always gotta rub it in. :)

I think 31" tires will give you 10% error so what I do when I calculate it is multiply mileage by 1.1 and divide by gallons. Same for speedo. 60mph on gauge is really 66mph., etc.

chitown40 said:
You always gotta rub it in. :)

I think 31" tires will give you 10% error so what I do when I calculate it is multiply mileage by 1.1 and divide by gallons. Same for speedo. 60mph on gauge is really 66mph., etc.

If so 10% then I'm 16.3 mpg last road trip. Starting to get respectable.

Good info, thx.

Cahil

Driving around Chicago in my 62, I get 10 mpg but should be about 10pct more because of my 32 inch tires. Not much highway miles.

15 mixed mileage in the 60, 17 if I baby it on the highway - 33's, 2" lift, desmogged, (and 'cause everybody hates 'em - a K&N)

FJ62 - not so good, 12 mixed, 15 downhill with a tailwind.

I just filled my first tank of city only driving. 8.9mpg. I gotta' lighten up.

I get about 28mpg on mixed driving. Course, I've gotta use that stinky oily stuff that comes out of the black hose at the fuel station. And it makes a little more noise than a gas guzzler. but ya gotta love that mileage!

I set a new personal best on the way out to Moab - 18.2 mpg. 16.4 on the way back. Fully smogged, rebuilt 2F rolling on some new 33x10.2 BFGs. Truck was loaded with several hundred lbs of junk. I even had the Yakima racks on the roof but no bikes up there. I must have had a tailwind :) GPS confirmed 17% speedo/odo error.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom