Gas mileage question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok before I get inundated with rebuttals like its a 6000lb AWD SUV what do you expect. I have a 2005 100 series and I understand its not a 4cyl camry. But I was curious if there were any tricks that you know of that improves MPG at all? If not I get it.

Totally worthless answer (I'm just here out of curiosity) --> I changed plugs and all of the coil packs (gross overkill, YMMV but I feel better) and I can't claim that fuel mileage was a lot better. Maybe a few tenths mpg. Tire air pressure... Sometimes I'll only air up to 25 psig and that hurts mileage, again, only incrementally. Type of fuel seems to help in the summer (Premium vs cheap stuff. The cheap stuff seems to "boil" more at altitude). Other than not driving it, which is not the least bit fun, I haven't found anything.

you made a good point. Also I have seen folks map the engine differently to get more power out of the 4.7 im not sure if that helps anything or not.

Keep it stock. lol.

As KraziAzn says, stay stock but also take off the roof rack. Avoid acceleration like your being followed by the CHP. Then decide that 12 mpg isn't so bad after all, and just pay the piper.

It’s all in the tenths, all of those tenths saved add up.
Tire pressure is the first and easiest, 50psi is good, the more air the lower the rolling resistance the greater the mpg. 32psi compared to 50psi will net you about 1mpg. Not much but it adds up.

Next is cruise control, set your cruise slightly slower than the flow of traffic, let people pass you. Who cares? This will net you an increases. Steady speed is key. Ideally you want to be the lowest rpm but highest gear, on the expressway 65mph is a great compromise.

Turn off the a/c and leave the windows up. Turning on y9our defroster turns on the a/c, turn the defroster off when done with it and then turn the a/c off. That will get you 1mpg.

Next is a clean air filter.

Next is a clean MAF.

Remove all extra weight, remove the 3rd row if you never use it. Take the 500lb tool bag out too.

Anticipate your stops, most stop lights on long straight roads are timed, hit one green and you hit them all green if you drive the correct speed. You just need to figure out that speed.

Fuel makes little to no difference. But ethanol content does. More ethanol lower mpg.

Drive with a light foot, slow to accelerate. Braking is wasted energy, keeping moving uses less energy to get moving again than taking off from a dead stop.

I run 29 and 32 psi in front and rear tires respectively. All stock and oem parts, including rotors, brake pads, denso TT plugs, coils, shocks, air, fuel and oil filters, pcv, clean radiator and AC fins, no fog lights in front of the grill, valvoline diff oil all around, oem trans fluid, syn blend castrol oil. I get about 18 at 80MPH.

I run 29 and 32 psi in front and rear tires respectively. All stock and oem parts, including rotors, brake pads, denso TT plugs, coils, shocks, air, fuel and oil filters, pcv, clean radiator and AC fins, no fog lights in front of the grill, valvoline diff oil all around, oem trans fluid, syn blend castrol oil. I get about 18 at 80MPH.

There is no way in hell you get 18mpg at 80mph. None. Maybe while coasting downhill the trip computer says 18, but nope. Not otherwise.

dWSEY9w.png

I got 16.6 mpg at 77 to 80 mph between Odessa to Amarillo TX. After getting my idle rpm fixed by replacing the temperature sensor for ecu, I did 90 miles with 4.9 gallons (full tank of gas and refilled to same level) on the same route.

Before I fixed the temp sensor idle was at 1050 or so and the gas gauge started dropping within first 20-25 miles, and after getting into proper rpm with a new temp sensor, I could do about 40 miles before I see the gas gauge starts coming down.

When the truck was new to me 2 years ago, it did max 14 mpg at 75 mph.

Last edited:
Slow down! Wind resistance at highway speeds has the biggest effect on mileage in a well tuned vehicle. Altitude makes part of the difference but when I drive I-70 from Denver to Glenwood Springs, I usually average around 19 MPG since the the speed limit is 65 MPH. Driving I-25 at 75 MPH usually gets me around 15-16 MPG.

Stock everything including the seat covers....Premium gas.. usually get around 16 mpg doing 70-73 mph. Anything higher and the number drops significantly

Last edited:
Stock everything including the seat covers....Premium gas.. usually get around 16 mpg doing 70-73 mph. Anything higher and the number drops significantly
This is my experience as well. I just tell myself that I prefer the right lane and relax.

I'd say talk to people with modded trucks and ask what they get for mileage, it's sure to make you feel better. I get about 12.5 unloaded all day, but I don't drive slowly.

There are a few threads that document modded and stock MPG.. most fall within the 11-14 range, depending on setup and driving style. I've only owned my cruiser for a couple years, but average is mid 11s.. 285/75R16 tires, 2in lift, and occasional traffic of outer Houston. On long trips, I've hit mid 15s if I cruise around 70MPH. Mid 11s is terrible, but I really don't see how anyone can get above 14-15s in the city with the rigs.

I get 26 mpg, but only when I drive my wife's Mazda.

Oh, this is the Land Cruiser forum?!

12 - 14.5, and Lovin it!

upload_2018-12-4_10-21-8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom