gas leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had a problem with my gas tank a few times in the last six months. After I've filled the tank, if I'm parked on a hill gas pours out of the fillneck. It doesn't do it everytime, in fact it's been about three. I am ultra-cautious about topping the tank off, so I know it's not too full. Is there some kind of backpressure on these tanks? My fillneck is pretty worn were the cap screws on, so I was thinking of replacing it but SOR wants $180. I just wanted to be sure that was the problem before I shelled out the money. Not good for the paint, and the fumes seep in to the inside. Lucky it's summer.

did you get the recall done on the gas tank?

Recall?

I've only owned the cruiser for about six months. What recall? Is there a way to check if it's been done?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Gillti. Was your's doing this too? I will definitely call the dealership.

nope, i've only had it for a month so far. But I heard about the recalls and called up. a

Had the same problem on my '87(and the gas tank recall/replacement had been done) and the fix was a new filler neck. Apparently the flanges that retain the cap get deformed from people leaning on the nozzle while filling up. I replaced the big hose to the tank and the gasket between the filler and the body at the same time...no problems since. Good Luck.

Gas tank recall has been done

I called the dealership today and the recall had been performed, so I guess it's time for a new filler neck. Anyone see a new one in a catalog cheaper than SOR's price.($180) Seems damn expensive to me.

browser5031,

couple of options for you:

1) Beaverton Toyota Parts: ask for B.J. or Chris and tell them Pete with the '87 FJ60 sent you and see if they can help you on price. These guys have been GREAT to work with over the past few years and you don't pay shipping. Stay FAR, FAR AWAY from Broadway Toyota in all regards -- they are absolutely HORRIBLE!!

2) Tony or Matt at LandCruiser Northwest in NW PDX may also be able to help....

3) track down CDan on this board -- he's a Toyota parts guy by trade and a friend to many in need here.

4) join TLCA -- many places offer good discounts to members

hth,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Yeah I had the fuel leaking out of the filler neck too....when full sitting crooked(against the curb with a deep gutter) or left turns..........

Replaced the filler neck and hose with new, fixed it but couldn't see anything wrong with the old one..................

Didn't know about the recalls.......hafta check that

The above sugestions are all great but before you go nuts, have you replaced the cap? Sounds to easy. Mine did the same thing when I got it (Post tank recall). New Cap, problem solved for under $8.00bucks, works Fer me! The problem in Oregon is that you can't pump your own gas which is no Big except that once a year or so, the 16 year old pumping the gas forgets to put the cap back on.

cosmo said:
The problem in Oregon is that you can't pump your own gas which is no Big except that once a year or so, the 16 year old pumping the gas forgets to put the cap back on.

or the idiot savant running the pump tops off your tank despite the verbal warning you gave him before he started his task and you end up with an 89 octane waterfall cascading down the side of your rig.....(and seeping into the body cavity to evaporate much to the joy of you and your passengers) :mad: :censor:

-db-

man, i do envy you guys in oregon. Everytime I'm up there visiting my wife's family the guys at the pump just about have a cardiac arrest when I get out to pump my own gas.

gillti,
plead ignorance and continue to pump your own when visiting our fine state....your paint job, interior, and health will be better for it ;)

-db-

browser5031 said:
I called the dealership today and the recall had been performed, so I guess it's time for a new filler neck. Anyone see a new one in a catalog cheaper than SOR's price.($180) Seems damn expensive to me.

There's also Bob Bridge Toyota, on the web as 1sttoyotaparts.com(I always order by phone: 888 271 3948). Big web and phone based discount parts operation. Nice low prices...helps to have Toy P/N and VIN # handy when ordering. It's always amusing(and time consuming) when the part comes from the Toyota warehouse in Ontario, CA up to WA, then back to me in SoCal, just an hours drive from Ontario. That's why sometimes it's worth the extra cost to just make the 1/2 hour drive to Specter and be done with it.

Thx for info again guys, my 60 has been stinking me out with this hot weather the last few weeks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom