Gas leak ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I filled up today - and was sitting in the cargo area trying to find a leak in the hose for rear wiper fluid and I smelled gas and heard something dripping

Gas was leaking out of this ! What is it ?
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410294577.304973.jpg

Remove the metal shield between the frame and the gas filler tube, and you'll see where it sheared off of. My guess is that it broke off of the tank, itself, which sucks balls.

The salted roads in the Northeast eat our cruisers, so this sort of crap is constantly happening to mine. Drives me nuts.

I have no idea how you'd reattach it if it came off the tank, but have you checked to see if the gas tank recall has been done? If not, then a new tank is probably in order. Should be on Toyota's dime.

Actually been doing research it came off of the fuel connector in the quarter panel- it is completely rusted out - there was another hose that was disconnected as well But was capped off -

I am trying to figure out how hard of a job it is to replace the fuel connector - any insight

I'm not sure what part the fuel connector is. Is yours a 60 or a 62? In the quarter panel of my 60 I've got a vapor separator--a large plastic piece--but I don't think I've got any metal tubes other than the hard lines and the bits that run straight into the tank.

I should probably look at the FSM, though, my memory stinks.

Ok, so looking at this pic, if yours is also a 60, I guess there is a part called the connector (77209). Can you, for the time being, snake a fuel line over or under the frame, to connect to the fuel tank, bypassing the connector? Probably not a safe long-term solution, but if it gets you up and running again, you can buy time to figure out a better fix.

diag_1zR0vbP.jpg

Sorry, but I'm not near my truck today, so I can't get under it to assess.

My 85 had never had the Gas Tank Replacement Recall completed and so I took it to the dealer a couple of years ago and they replaced it. If you have not had your replacement done yet, go the dealer and get it done - I'm sure they will fix whatever is broken off the tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom