Gas leak and fumes inside (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took my seats out to get reupholstered, so I decided to take out the seat brackets and while I’m at it I should probably take care of a strong gas smell inside the truck. It’s stronger after I fill it up and drive around.

I’ve seen a bit of gas sitting here after driving around:
9FDB0DA9-A6E1-4F22-A9F7-16101612797A.jpeg

Check valve looks ok, but I’ll just replace it while I’m here:
35316304-4D02-4DBE-B6CC-E3381B7A0F9A.jpeg

I’ll replace the fuel hoses since they look pretty rough. The fuel separator doesn’t look damaged. The breather hose looks ok, and so does the fill hose, but could use some opinions there:
E994FA6B-638D-4A13-9E7A-EF69F0DFCD4F.jpeg

4FB35D39-2278-4536-AC50-4CC5CF698398.jpeg

I’ve read that the sending unit gasket is often the culprit when looking for leaks, but thought I should ask if I can replace the gasket without taking the tank cover off. I’ve heard you might stumble into an accidental frame-off if you do that.

4744A410-4853-4EFB-A1D3-CFF240C37F5F.jpeg

Any help is appreciated

Since you have the seat out, you may want to remove the tank cover and look under the fuel tank to make sure it’s not rusted through and leaking.
Also check the braided overflow line for cracks. Mine was cracked and leaked fuel every time I filled up and had a strong fuel smell. It would soak the external braid and took some time to evaporate.

I agree, may as well remove the tank cover. Your sending unit looks pretty new, the gasket might be okay. I'd replace your cracked hoses, it's cheap and easy.
Side Q?
Can I get that braided line anywhere else, other than Toyota?

I took my seats out to get reupholstered, so I decided to take out the seat brackets and while I’m at it I should probably take care of a strong gas smell inside the truck. It’s stronger after I fill it up and drive around.

I’ve seen a bit of gas sitting here after driving around:
View attachment 2614273

Check valve looks ok, but I’ll just replace it while I’m here:
View attachment 2614276

I’ll replace the fuel hoses since they look pretty rough. The fuel separator doesn’t look damaged. The breather hose looks ok, and so does the fill hose, but could use some opinions there:
View attachment 2614278
View attachment 2614279

I’ve read that the sending unit gasket is often the culprit when looking for leaks, but thought I should ask if I can replace the gasket without taking the tank cover off. I’ve heard you might stumble into an accidental frame-off if you do that.

View attachment 2614281

Any help is appreciated
You need to take the cover off to get to it. I've never hear anything about a frame-off...

Where does your vent line go to? Charcoal canister? Mine was left to open air by a PO. Then a mud dauber built a nest in the metal line which caused a higher than normal pressure build in the tank. You should get a small whoosh of air when you remove the cap to fill up.

in any event, fuel puddling in the cab is bad...

Vent line does seem to go to the charcoal canister but can’t say I feel a swoosh when I open the cap. I’m going to take off the cover tomorrow to inspect the tank. The tank is not plastic. Coincidentally @airon23 was just selling gas neck breather hoses here after he bought 10ft of it on amazon, but just sold them all. Seems like everyone is replacing these SOLD - FJ40 Gas Neck Breather Hose CHEAP! - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj40-gas-neck-breather-hose-cheap.1217640/
Yeah I just sold the last of them, but there was a link to the amazon stuff I bought for reference if people want to buy their own role.

Closing the loop here, I think the cause of my fumes and puddle was this little pinhole. It seems like the PO was drilling through the cover to add some sort of shotgun holder or something and accidentally drilled through the tank as well.
IMG_4803.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom