Gas Gauge woes... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I did a search, so don't flame me.

Sometime in the past three years my stock gas gauge went out, so I replaced it with an aftermarket one, cheapo from Advance Auto. That one worked for a few months and now it's crapped out.
Here are some symptoms... For a while the aftermarket one wouldn't even give a reading, then one day it decided it would, but it wasn't an accurate reading. With a full tank it would read about 1/2. A few weeks later the dumb thing just started working normal. This continued for a few months until one day in August of '05 it just up and quit again. Now it reads about an 1/8 of a tank, but the needle never moves. Is this a problem with the sending unit or the gauge?
I ran out of gas on my way home from work about three weeks ago (the odometer doesn't work either, so no use in counting miles), and I'm about to bring the 40 down to school, about a 4-5 hour drive, so I don't want to be stuck somewhere on the side of the road. Does anyone know what the problem is? Or if I can just order and gauge and sending unit combo that will remedy this problem for good?
thanks a lot

I'm looking into getting my first lc (fj55). One of the things I noticed was a failed gas guage (after I put five gallons in :)). Is this common then? Thanks

man, I posted a ton about this very type of issue a bit back on my FJ40. just decided to replace the whole unit (sending and wires and floater, etc.). you can buy one from JC Whitney for less than $25.00. these issues are SO hard to figure out, I decided (as have many) to just replace the sending unit and float and rewired it myself. awesome now.

hope this helps, here is the 2nd thread I started when I decided to just change it out and stop trying to make an old one work. https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=68073

hey wantatlc? did you use the new gaugeOr put it iback in the dash?

By the way thanks for posting this up I really need to do this and a speedo?

James

I used a new gauge, mounted it under the dash next to an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. I would have LOVED to fix the original in dash gauges, but it just prooved to be such a pain with all the possibilites that just rewiring new stuff was so much easier and got me what I needed, it was better than continuing with nothing. I also have an aftermarket oil pressure that IS in the dash, but not the original.

I'd use the search function and read up on JTout$hittters before trying to buy anything from them...

Horsehead said:
What do ya'll think about this one from JTOutfitters? http://www.jtoutfitters.com/product/8332060050

I'm not too sure i want to go through the hastle of some knock-off generic one if the OEM is cheap.

sure, they sell them as well as SOR as well as CCOTexas do.... but, are you sure the issue is the just sending unit? I liked the kit as it covered all options (sending unti, wiring, gauge...)

Cabron, As I'm from High Point, NC, less than 45 minutes from JT, I've bought plenty of stuff from them from day one 6 years ago up till now and I can't say that I've ever had a complaint against their products. They're closer than SOR and cheaper than CCOT for the most part.

wantatlc, I didn't realize that other kit came with everything... that definitely looks a little more appealing now that you mention it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom