Gas Gauge and Fuel Tank Stupid Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this might be a stupid question but as a new Cruiser owner I have noticed something with my gas gauge that I could use some clarification on.

Using a half tank as example will make this easier to understand:
When starting the vehicle the gauge will read right at half a tank. After she warms up and I drive a short bit I will notice that the gauge reads slightly higher than the half tank mark. Is this normal? What is the most accurate reading? I'd hate to end up on the side of the road because my gauge is lying to me and I haven't had it long enough to calculate my average miles from a full tank.

Related question about the fuel tank and gauge:
When I bought her she was on E or so said the gauge. When I filled the tank I was only able to pump just over 16 gallons before it registered as full and the gauge shows full as well. My understanding is that an FJ62 should have a 23g tank? Could this be indicative of an issue with the sending unit or something similar?

When going uphill mine reads low, when going downhill reads high. Even stopping at a light the gauge will move up a little.

The sender may have a little sticky going on that's making it read funny.

I had my tank replaced and when I got it back from my mech the gauge didn't read anything... It ended up being the sensor under the panel in the cargo area. We fiddled with it and the gauge came back to life!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom